Best Speaker System for iPod Touch 2G

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by SmthCrmnl, Dec 25, 2008.

1. SmthCrmnl macrumors newbie

I'm looking for a speaker system under $100 that also charges....

Currently, i'm looking at the Logitech Pure-Fr Anytime, which is 79.99 at CC, but i don't know if it works with the Ipod touch 2g

Any Suggestions??

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

It should, as all iPods (excuse the FireWire ones) have a universal dock connection. It's the little rectangular hole on the bottom. As long there the connector on the Logitech fits it, you're good.

3. Cguy macrumors newbie

Unfortunately, this isn't true. The new iPod Touch 2G has a different configuration in the dock, and many speaker systems will not charge the 2G.

So, you have to either look up the specs (on iLounge for example) or try it out to see if it charges (if it doesn't, you will get a message that says "Charging is not supported on this device").

The one I am THINKING about getting is the Logitec Pure-Fi Express Plus (lists at $99.95), and gets an A- from iLounge.

4. atomheartmother macrumors regular

Honestly, the dock stereo systems are HUGE ripoffs. The sound quality you get for the price is very poor. You're paying entirely for the docking capabilities. Just get a nice set of computer speakers and a wall charger for the Touch. I got this set off of eBay for like $35 shipped, and they blow the doors off the dock system I used to have before it.

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Insp...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1231453555&sr=8-2

Here is the dock system I used to have that couldn't hold a candle to the sound quality of the above speakers, and it costed more than three times as much.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...+ipod&lp=2&type=product&cp=1&id=1188562910207

5. saberahul macrumors 68040

I use the iHome H9. I believe it is still the latest but the sound quality is awesome almost as good as the Bose Home Theatre. It even wakes you up on your iPod music or the buzzer, depending on whichever you prefer. It is approx. $100 but I got it for $45 from Kohls- ya i know great sale.

6. Brewerpaul macrumors regular

Atom-- yer a fookin' genius!* I'd tried my Touch via my computer's similar speaker system but just sort of assumed that the speaker system was switched via the PC and wouldn't play by itself (my speakers are hidden by my monitor, so I can't easily see the pilot light).
    I looked yesterday and sure enough the pilot light was on even though the computer was not. The speakers work like a charm with a simple 1/8" patch cord. They're not killer loud, even at max volume, but I don't usually listen to music all that loud anyway.
    Gonna go out this weekend and buy another set of computer speakers to put down in the basement by the pool table![​IMG]

* (sorry if this breaks any profanity rules: I'll be glad to edit it out)

7. Cguy macrumors newbie

Docks and no-docks

Atomheartmother is partially correct. However, there are some advantages to docks – mostly unrealized at this point, in that all you can get is stereo sound (and sometimes video) from the 1/8" plug. In the long run, I hope that future docking stations take better advantage of the dock port. Also, many docking stations (unlike a charger and separate speaker systems) provide some stable protection for an iPod.

And there ARE some decent sounding dock stations for the iPod that are priced reasonable (not like the overrated Bose). I just tested the Logitech Pure-Fi Express Plus, which gets an A- from iLounge by the way. The sound was great for the price, the look is retro with a big volume knob, and the price I found it for was $80.

On the other hand, there are some advantages to the separate speaker suggestion. And if you go that route I would like to recommend a nice setup. For the charger, there is the Scosche reviveLITE charger – the iPod plugs into the charger, and the charger plugs directly into the wall (no power cord), plus it works as a nite lite and is EnergyStar complaint (about $40). And for powered speakers, I really like the m-audio line of bookshelf speakers. They sound great, quite flexible in usage, and are a great value. The AV 20s list at $80, I have seen them for as low as $60. The AV 40s, are my personal choice, and they add an auxiliary 1/8" plug and a headphone jack on the front of the speaker. I use these with AirPort Expresses to pump sound through the whole house (with an iPod Touch as a remote to AirTunes.)

8. atomheartmother macrumors regular

Why in God's name would you pay $40 for a wall charger? You can get wall chargers on eBay for as little as $3.50 that are undoubtedly the same exact thing minus the night light.

Here's one for $3.50:

http://cgi.ebay.com/WALL-CHARGER-fo...9|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:50

If you need a brand name, here is a Belkin for $7.50:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Belkin-USB-AC-W...6:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:50www

Also, if you're going to be dropping $80+ bucks on speakers, I'd go with a nice 2.1 setup over some studio monitors. You'll get a nice solid subwoofer that way. This one seems to be nice. Though, the one I linked in my original post is a great bang for the buck.

9. Cguy macrumors newbie

Well, if you had READ my post, I pointed out 4 advantages to the wall charger (not just a night light, which while slightly useful, is secondary to the need), the other three are (1) No Cords, the iPod plugs directly into the charger, (2) security, as the iPod is mounted on this stand next to the wall, not dangling off a cord, and (3) it's EnergyStar rated (which neither of the ones you listed are. Yes, its $40 (although I have found it cheaper) - if someone wants a $10 (or less) wall model then go for it, I only suggested mine. So undoubtably, they are NOT the same thing.

And as for speakers, first the one I recommended could be found for less than $80 (I read reports of $50), second, although I run 5.1 for my home theater (and I am considering 7.2 for the next one), these SOUND amazing without a separate subwoofer (although I don't usually try to blow the doors off when I use them, so if you are looking for pounding bass, your mileage may vary), and they take up less space than a 2.1 system.

Again, go with whatever you like. If sound is important, and security for your ipod is important, the setup I recommended was appropriate. There are hundreds of alternatives out there, though.

10. atomheartmother macrumors regular

The problem with your charger is that you really can't use the iPod while it's charging. So if you plan to have the iPod charging while playing music through the speakers, you might be out of luck. At the very least, it'd be very inconvenient. And forget about using apps or playing games or whatever while it's charging.

And who let's an iPod dangle off of the wall while it's charging. Don't most people set it on the desk while charging? That's like saying that you should plug a laptop directly into the wall rather than with a cord so as to be safe.

Plus, it costs over 10 times as much as the ones on eBay...

11. amycishere macrumors 6502

I have the Sony docking system on apple.com and it was $100 and charges the ipod touch 2g as well as having GREAT sound. I love it!

12. Cguy macrumors newbie

The problem with your posts is that you keep trying to prove me WRONG, while I keep trying to provide an alternative. Plus (to make myself a hypocrite), YOUR chargers won't work! The original poster specified a Touch 2G, and despite the eBay listing, neither charger is compatible with a 2G. And, last time I checked, the cheapo charger was around $10 with shipping - I got my charger for $30 with free shipping, so only three times more for a name brand, well designed charger versus a no-name charger to charge my $200 plus iPod. And there is a reason that Apple designed the magsafe cord, so that WHEN you tripped over the cord, you didn't destroy your laptop. Same with the iPod, if I can keep my pod safe while I am playing music with, more the better.

Also, it plays music fine while charging - the original poster didn't want to play games but listen to music.

So, back to the non-hypocritical part - as I said, barring the fact that you should specify a 2G compatible charger, your solution is perfectly fine — I just wanted to present an alternative and leave the purchasing up to the poster.

13. Cguy macrumors newbie

Monitor Audio is a great company and, while I haven't tried this one, the reviews were great!

Big problem for the original poster — it isn't Touch 2G compatible (Apple really screwed up changing the Dock layout IMHO).

If you don't mind adding height and price to your purchase, Scosche make an adaptor that corrects the dock incompatibility letting you charge the new iPhone and Touch in an old system for $40. http://scosche.com/passport
    They also have an inline one for corded and auto dock connections for $30.