Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2002
New York
What are the best speakers one can get for a Powermac G5 Dual 2.0GHZ? I am looking for stereo only. This is for playing back a stereo sound mix from Final Cut and I want the best I can get. I don't know if I should get something that plugs in thru the optical sound connector or just the mini plug. Anyone have their own Final Cut Studio at home? Klipsch, Bose, M-Audio?

product26

Cancelled
May 30, 2005
What are the best speakers one can get for a Powermac G5 Dual 2.0GHZ? I am looking for stereo only. This is for playing back a stereo sound mix from Final Cut and I want the best I can get. I don't know if I should get something that plugs in thru the optical sound connector or just the mini plug. Anyone have their own Final Cut Studio at home? Klipsch, Bose, M-Audio?

I have M-Audio BX5a studio monitors. They sound amazing, and are by far the best value in pro audio.

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2002
New York
I have M-Audio BX5a studio monitors. They sound amazing, and are by far the best value in pro audio.

yeah I was checking them out. I think they sell for $399 How do you have them plugged into the powermac G5? Thru the mini plug? Or is there some sort of optical converter? I don't want to lose quality with using a basic mini plug connector.

product26

Cancelled
May 30, 2005
yeah I was checking them out. I think they sell for $399 How do you have them plugged into the powermac G5? Thru the mini plug? Or is there some sort of optical converter? I don't want to lose quality with using a basic mini plug connector.

(i know someone who worked in pro audio at guitar center, so I only paid about $170 for mine)
I have a M-Audio Firewire 1814 that i used 1/4 to XLR cables.

You could probably go from the 3.5mm mini jack to the 1/4 jacks on the speakers.

djkny

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2003

As monitors, though, don't they sound pretty "textureless" and flat? i.e. spout true sound that's unideal, perhaps, for regular music listening or for the TV.

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2002
New York
As monitors, though, don't they sound pretty "textureless" and flat? i.e. spout true sound that's unideal, perhaps, for regular music listening or for the TV.

I should hope they sound flat so that you could really monitor what your work sounds like.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
I wouldn't touch Bose with a barge stick. Never heard anything from them which sounds anywhere near as impressive as their marketing department would like you to believe. Ever wondered why Bose don't do like for like comparisons with other gear, unlike all the other manufacturers out there.

Your best options would be the M-Audios (which are very very good indeed), B&W (but you'd need a separate amplifier) or ATC (if you can afford it). The best small active speakers on the market at the moment though are B&O BeoLab 3s, although they're very pricey. Great if you want something incredibly powerful in the size of a small melon though...

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2002
New York
I wouldn't touch Bose with a barge stick. Never heard anything from them which sounds anywhere near as impressive as their marketing department would like you to believe. Ever wondered why Bose don't do like for like comparisons with other gear, unlike all the other manufacturers out there.

Your best options would be the M-Audios (which are very very good indeed), B&W (but you'd need a separate amplifier) or ATC (if you can afford it). The best small active speakers on the market at the moment though are B&O BeoLab 3s, although they're very pricey. Great if you want something incredibly powerful in the size of a small melon though...

yeah you're right, i checked out Bose and they don't seem to have anything really good for stereo studio speakers. Those B&O BeoLab 3s cost a bit too much, I am not looking for anything over a grand.

I was wondering if anyone had the M-Audio EX66 or heard anything about them. They are about $600-700 and have a digital toslink connector, which is nice since they are future proof if I am mixing 24 bit 96KHZ projects. If going to spend $500 for speakers I would love for them not to input thru a lousy minijack connector and actually get some use out of the built in Powermac G5 optical sound connector.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
No, I wouldn't rely on digital. If anything, you'll be better off going for analogue monitors. They are more compatible, actually more future-proof (as digital standards are set to change) and will sound better.

If you use the digital output on your PowerMac, remember that you won't be able to use the volume control.

Minjack can sound just as good as any other connection method, just make sure you don't skimp out on a decent cable. The sound card in your PowerMac is actually of pretty high standard. Believe me, you'll be best off getting say the M-Audio BX5as (very good monitors), and connecting them directly to your PowerMac. I'm running Samson active studio monitors directly off a PowerBook as we speak, just using a Minjack > RCA cable (make sure it's well shielded though), and it sounds far more than acceptable, it sounds better than my Dell + Pro soundcard in the studio (been meaning to upgrade to a Mac out there for ages)...

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2002
New York
No, I wouldn't rely on digital. If anything, you'll be better off going for analogue monitors. They are more compatible, actually more future-proof (as digital standards are set to change) and will sound better.

If you use the digital output on your PowerMac, remember that you won't be able to use the volume control.

Minjack can sound just as good as any other connection method, just make sure you don't skimp out on a decent cable. The sound card in your PowerMac is actually of pretty high standard. Believe me, you'll be best off getting say the M-Audio BX5as (very good monitors), and connecting them directly to your PowerMac. I'm running Samson active studio monitors directly off a PowerBook as we speak, just using a Minjack > RCA cable (make sure it's well shielded though), and it sounds far more than acceptable, it sounds better than my Dell + Pro soundcard in the studio (been meaning to upgrade to a Mac out there for ages)...

Awesome, yeah i just saw that the EX66 are $600-700 EACH. Ouch. So it looks like the BX5a are the ones to go with. Do you recommend any sites to pick up the minijack to 1/4 adapter, since I don't think the BX5a comes with RCA in the back, just XLR and 1/4 inch. Price is no question with the cable.

CubeHacker

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
Another option is the Swan M200's. They have an input sensitivity of 800mV, which is directly between that of studio monitors and regular powered speakers. You don't need an amp for the Swans, but they do need a powerful soundcard to drive them. They are a great sounding pair of 2.0 speakers. And they are currently only $200 and available at Newegg.com. Check out some of the reviews online.

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006
I have a question: what makes near-field monitors near-field? Is it the way the drivers produce the sound so that when you sit close it's the proper distance? Aren't drivers, just drivers and they will produce what goes through them? I don't see how you can have a "near-field" driver and a "far-field" one, please explain :) . I am NOW using a pair of Spicas running off my Ifi amp, and they exceed many monitors out there for near-field, again, I don't see how near-field is accomplished, but they don't sound colored for sitting close or anything of the like, maybe it's because they are sealed enclosures?

As for the OP: I have heard that Behringer Truth's are unbeatable for the price. I have also heard the Rokit KRK 5's, and can confidently tell you they are exceptional.

Please let us know what you get, and how you like it!

Peace

djkny

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2003
Another option is the Swan M200's. They have an input sensitivity of 800mV, which is directly between that of studio monitors and regular powered speakers. You don't need an amp for the Swans, but they do need a powerful soundcard to drive them. They are a great sounding pair of 2.0 speakers. And they are currently only $200 and available at Newegg.com. Check out some of the reviews online.

They were $149 on Black Friday!

Check out the Altec Lansing FX6021's, too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.