Best speakers for under $50?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TSE, Mar 27, 2010.

1. TSE macrumors 68030

Hey guys... My laptop speakers aren't cutting it, so do you guys know of the best non-USB speakers for under/at $50? Thanks. :D

2. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

Good luck with that... :D

Really, its hard to find decent speakers for any price right now, IMO. Are you looking for good sound quality, lots of bass, lots of volume or some combination?

If you're looking for good sound quality and decent (but not excessive volume), may I recommend the M-Audio AV 30s, currently on sale from Best Buy for $89.99. A bit over your budget, but well worth it. I have the AV 40s and they're GREAT. The 30s are similar, but with a 3" woofer instead of a 4". They're "studio monitors" (i.e., professional grade) and have a great, even sound to them. But if you're looking for tons of bass, look elsewhere. They're quite respectable for the size, but not booming.

Otherwise, as I said above, good luck... :)

Oh yeah, if you like bass and volume most, I have a set of older Logitech X220s that will rock your socks (for PC speakers). If you can find a used set on eBay, they're nice, if you like bass (like my wife does).

3. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

Ok thanks man...

I want a combination and all around great speakers... I listen to all sorts of music, I game, and I just do general stuff on the computer.

I know I'm not going to find any great speakers for $50... but alright ones are good enough. And the $50 is pretty much my maximum limit... thanks for the suggestion though.

4. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

No prob - good luck. :)

5. aixporter macrumors member

aixporter

i say, save the money and get yourself a Bose Companion 3... best speakers to match any apple laptop IMO. Better yet, go all usb with the companion 5.

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Sounds like a pair of Logitechs or Creatives will be the way to go. Check out some local Best Buys/other electronic stores to test them, then buy on Amazon or somewhere else online.

7. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

got these logitech speakers two days ago... good sound for $35 speakers

bass is good...volume is also good...i like them...maybe you can go to your local best buy and try them (if they have them on display)

cheers

8. nick9191 macrumors 68040

I've got some Logitech X-210's. Can't fault them.