Best speakers?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Pierce, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Pierce macrumors newbie

Pierce

I am looking for some speakers for my 24inch iMac. Does anyone have any suggestions or comments? I am looking to spend anywhere from $100.00- $150.00.

TIA

2. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

3. pagansoul macrumors 65816

pagansoul

Thanksgiving is a great time to buy electronics. On black friday you will find a lot of mark downs. I myself have bose companion 3g series for $150 which was a $100 discount. Many say they are over rated but like apple products, I like the style.

You can get the JBL Creature for about $100. For real beauty you can get Harman Kardon Soundsticks for just over $100 and I hear that they perform better than JBL Creature. Go to amazon and look at the customer recommendations under 'computer speakers'.

4. Pili macrumors regular

Go for a set of Klipsch promedia 2.1s. They are about $150 and sound just as good if not a little better than my bose companion 3s which are $100 dollars more. The only downside is that the satellite speakers are on the larger side and are not exactly the best looking ones out there.

5. Tucom macrumors 65816

Tucom

Give the Bose Companion series a look, you will be quite impressed. I would say the bass is better than the Klipsch, smoother, if a bit tighter. I prefer the sound of the Bose sats, too.

It's all personal preference, ofcourse. They're both great sets.

If you're a comp. movie buff, give the Bose Companion 5 a look, they give you a little something extra.

Peace

6. Hello.there macrumors 6502a

Hello.there

The Logitech Z-4i Speakers are a cheaper option - just got them the other day and they look wonderful and to my amateur ears the sound is excellent.

Have to say, though, I think the Harman Kardon Soundsticks II look magnificent - sorry I didn't get them instead :(

7. roker macrumors regular

roker

I'm really pleased with my Harman/Kardon's, really crisp clear treble & good deep bass, the only thing that I don't like is that they're not very full sounding when you crank them up & try listening in a larger area, though I guess they are only 2.1's.

8. letswastetime macrumors regular

Im trying to get some speakers that are decent price for my dorm room. I really like the Logitech Z4i because I like the wired remote that comes with it. But the problem is the subwoofer is kinda big and I dont have tons of room. Can I still use the speakers without the subwoofer?

Thanks.

9. Tucom macrumors 65816

Tucom

No, you cannot use any of the satellites in any Logitech subwoofer/satellite systems by themselves - without the included subwoofer or a difference amplification source. The amplifier for the satellite speakers is in the subwoofer itself.

You can use the satellites without the subwoofer, but not as speakers :p

Peace

10. Ellen macrumors regular

I was thinking of buying the Soundsticks for my new iMac but read some reviews at the Apple store online that says that the subwoofer is not compatible with Leopard. Has anyone had that experience? Thanks

11. Fuchal macrumors 68020

JBL Spots are very small and sound extremely good for their size.

12. Andras5soul macrumors member

13. steelphantom macrumors 6502a

steelphantom

Since the Soundsticks II just plug into the headphone jack (or audio out jack) on any computer, it doesn't matter what OS you use. They'll work fine with Leopard or any other OS.

14. Ellen macrumors regular

Thanks. The reviews i read at the Apple store online said that the soundsticks themselves are OK, it's the subwoofer being a problem and that Apple no longer "supports" these speakers.

15. Scuba Steve macrumors newbie

If space isn't a huge issue I would definitely recommend buying a mini shelf system with an auxilary input.

I switched from the typical 2.1 comp speaker setup to a small bookshelf system and the difference is ridiculous. Listening to music is 1000x more enjoyable.

16. wallaby macrumors 6502

wallaby

For real? I have a mini-shelf system and do exactly this, with the aux input, but I was considering getting a 2.1 speaker system since my shelf system doesn't have very strong bass. My parents have a set of Creative 2.1 speakers hooked up to their computer, and the sound that comes out of that is way stronger than my shelf unit.

Planning on getting some Logitech x-230s…

17. isaack macrumors newbie

thats what i'm going to do, gonna get the sony CMTDH5BT which can connect to your comp via bluetooth so keeps my imac AL 24 cableless except for those darn power cables

18. khollister macrumors 6502a

khollister

I have the Klipsch ProMedia GMX 2.1 (much different sats than the regular ProMedia). I think they look great & sound fantastic - far better than any other multimedia speakers I had heard.

19. Ellen macrumors regular

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts about the JBL Sypros (the ones that look like 4 leaf clovers) comparted to an iMac's internal speakers? Also if anyone has them I am wondering how they connect to the computer - how many wires are there and what is the subwoofer plug like. I just got a new iMac and like the idea of eliminating wires from my previous PC setup.

20. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Just a word of advice, everybody hear is talking about 2.1 systems. A good 2.0 system will outperform the best 2.1 system massively.

For 2.1 systems have a 'gap' between the sats and the 'subwoofer' (which isn't technically a subwoofer), meaning that if you played a sound starting off very very low and ending up very high (a frequency sweep) then there would be a point in the sound where you wouldn't hear anything at all.

It's not that the sound quality is 'bad', some sub/sat systems do quite a good job of reproducing what they can, however it's more a lack of sound in certain areas which you can't get around...

21. Tucom macrumors 65816

Tucom

Dude, that's so untrue. First of all, there are multimedia branded sets that have no inaudible gap in the mid-range, it's there, but not as much as a nice pair of full range standers or book shelf speakers.

Second, make yourself clear that you're talking about 2.1 "PC Speakers". There are pro-audio and Hi-Fi 2.1 systems that would poo on many, many nice 2.0 systems.

If you want the best sound quality for the price in the multimedia "PC Speakers" selection category, have a look at: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882619002

There's no mid-range gap, and will outperform many of the "PC Speakers" multimedia oriented 2.0 systems, except the ones that Swans make ;)

Peace

22. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I can't see the gap being any different from that produced by a crossover inside a multi-driver speaker at least as long as the system is designed correctly.

23. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I've found the Logitech x-230's have way too much bass. They're what I have at the moment, and I've got the subwoofer's bass set as low as it can go and they still sound a bit muddy.

I have new speakers coming for xmas with a creative x-mod external soundcard which is supposed to be pretty darn good. :D

24. Megatron macrumors regular

I recommend the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

Honestly they sound as good as many much more expensive setups. Much better than other 2.1 systems I've listened to.

25. Shotgun OS macrumors 6502a

I have the Harman Kardon Soundsticks II and they are fantastic. I recommend them to everyone. They're an amazing buy and sound way better than you think they would.