Best specs for Minecraft?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by -Digital-, May 9, 2011.

1. -Digital- macrumors newbie

I currently have an eMac running 10.4.11 with 1GHz and a whopping 640 MB of RAM.

Basically, I'm in need of an upgrade.

I've also recently become addicted to Minecraft. Amazingly, I'm able to run it on my eMac at a max of 10-15 fps with graphics at minimal. It's decent, but the lag gets annoying.

I've been looking into getting a new Mac Mini considering it's fairly cheap and in my budget, but I'm afraid it won't be able to run Minecraft efficiently (I'd at least like it to run on Fancy with Smooth Lighting and Render distance normal).

Here are the specs for the Mini I'm looking at purchasing:

2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    2GB memory (Thinking about upgrading it to 4GB though)
    NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics

Would this be sufficient? If not, what should I look into? I'd love to get a MBP, but I'm not sure if I can afford throwing out $1500 on a new computer right now.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

That would run it fine, although you may want to consider upgrading RAM to 4GB aftermarket, if you find that the 2GB gets cramped.

3. -Digital- thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick response. :) I'll go for the Mini with 4GB.

Thanks again!

4. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

For reference, the current 13" MacBook Pro runs it just fine, even with the Intel graphics. So if they update the Mini to use Intel graphics, don't worry about it, it'll be fine. (I don't have the 13MBP, but a friend does, and he is a Minecraft fiend.)

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Haha, yeah, it's not a terribly intense game. My MacBook with the 9400m runs it at max settings at some pretty high FPS (I have it limited so it doesn't use 100% of my CPU). Albeit, that is in windows, but for a fairly weak integrated GPU, not half bad. It beats the crap out of a couple of my friends windows computers that have the old intel HD graphics.

6. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher

My younger brother have the older mac mini and it runs just fine with him.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I have a late 2006 17" iMac. I'm able to run Minecraft on max settings (but on the 3rd furthest distance setting), full screen on my 20" external monitor perfectly. Some tiny hitches whenever you go from inside to outside.

They really optimised the hell out of it recently. I'm willing to bet any Mac with a dedicated graphics card beyond 2006 will run it perfectly.

(2ghz Core2Duo, x1600, 3gb ram)

8. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

I run it on fast graphics, low view distance and without smooth lighting to get a good constant 40+ FPS on the iMac in my sig, it seems to often dip in frame rate when I turn it up, though I'm not sure if I've tried since he optimised it.