Best Specs to Run Final Cut Studio?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by waynechriss, Aug 25, 2010.

1. waynechriss macrumors regular

I'm close to approaching graduate school, majoring in film directing, and was told that the school i want to go to use Final Cut Pro as their default video editing program. It'd be nice to use their computers but i would like the entire suite on my mac but not sure if my macbook would run it well. What's the best specs to make FCS run very well on a mac? I was planning on getting either the low end iMac 21inch or the lower end macbook 15.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

First of all, do you need portability? If you do, then your only option is MBP and the base 2.4GHz i5 should be just fine

3. waynechriss thread starter macrumors regular

Well I already own the white macbook, 2.13GHZ 2GB 160GB hard drive so i could replace it with the 15inch macbook pro or keep the macbook and buy an imac to compliment it. I'm also trying to factor cost and what would be the best convenience to me, because a 15 macbook pro is hundreds of dollars more than the lowest end iMac.

I run so much stuff on my macbook already, steam, adobe illustrator, editing HD videos in iMovie, etc and its giving it such a work out with the fan screaming pretty loudly that i don't think doubling the ram will do me much good.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Well, if the MacBook can satisfy your portable needs, then iMac is definitely better. It's faster and the screen is great for editing