Best Spyware?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by legaleye3000, May 9, 2010.

1. legaleye3000 macrumors 65816

I'm the goto computer person in the family and I was asked what is the best spyware for a teenager's Mac that does ALL the spyware stuff (keystorkes, etc.)... I've never had to deal with that, so does anyone know...? Thanks

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You still don't really need one but if you still want one, check this out

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think he/she might actually be asking for spyware (in the sense of covert monitoring tools) and not anti-spyware tools! :eek:

OP: Do you want a program that removes adware/spyware/malware (i.e., software some website, etc, installed without asking you -- as HH said, you don't need this on the MacOS side, because there really isn't any of this stuff on OS X), or are you looking for a way to monitor what this kid does with her/his computer?

4. legaleye3000 thread starter macrumors 65816

5. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

thats what I thought to. OP care to give us some clarification?

Edit* This was the top hit on google, though I have never used it. IMHO I have never seen the need to extra software. When I was a teenager the thought of being snooped on by my parents would only have made me find ways of circumventing the controls. The best way would be through education and a little bit of trust.

6. legaleye3000 thread starter macrumors 65816

^^^ Just looking for spyware (not "anti-spyware") ... I know it sounds crappy, but I guess its ok when its for a ill-behaved teenager doing weird stuff, haha. Glad I don't have to deal with that...

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Well, you could just turn on parental control so you can limit the web sites he/she can visit and see the log of what sites he/she has visited. You can also limit the hours he can use it per day and set times when it can be used. If you want MORE than that, don't ask me, don't know any apps for it :(

8. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

^^^ As always the most obvious methods allude me. This would make sense as a starting point, but would require the teenager not having access to the admin account, giving the parents that access.

Found a guide here.