Best SSD brand?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lifeguard90, Oct 27, 2010.

1. lifeguard90 macrumors 6502a

Hey, I am looking at ssd's either to upgrade now in my 2008 macbook, or so I know what is good compared to apples standard (Toshiba I believe) SSD BTO, for when I get a new mbp.

What are some thoughts?

OCZ

OWC Mercurcury

Intel SSD

Crucial SSD

( in either case for any, I will need at least 256GB) who knows if the new mbp will get flash or not?

Also- for a macbook pro , how would you get a low storage SSD to save $$ and use it just for boot time, instant on, etc. but retain a normal HD for all other use

Thanks

2. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

Someone else will come by and chew you up for not searching before posting. There are a lot of threads about this topic here.

Any of those are good. OWC seems to have quite a following here though.

3. henry999 macrumors newbie

And deservedly so, I should think. Looking through my receipts folder, I see that my first order with OWC was in May of 1998. I've been back a good number of times (I'm an individual, not an institutional or corporate buyer) and they've never done me wrong.

cheers,

Henry

PS: Off on a tangent, but I imagine some of you reading this may remember when The Chip Merchant was the place to buy RAM for the Mac. My same receipts folder shows nine buys, from Sept. of 1991 to July of 2000. It was a shock and a pity when they went down the tube. I clearly remember the last time I called them.

'Hi, this is Henry. I need some xxx RAM for my Mac yyy.'
    'We don't have that.'
    'Oh. Any idea when you'll be getting it in?'
    'No.'
    'I see ... uh, do you have any suggestions?'
    'No.'