Best SSD for 13" MBP 2.4Ghz

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by g33, Dec 7, 2010.

1. g33 macrumors 6502

Just ordered the above (with help from the forum :))

Does anyone have experience with SSDs in MBPs? Which would you recommend? Im thinking I would need minimum of ~128gb. I would like to have more but then the drive will start to cost more than the MBP itself :p

In y previous thread it was suggested that the Intel G2 and Mercury drives (?) were pretty good. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance.

2. ThemacNub macrumors regular

3. g33 thread starter macrumors 6502

Forgot the linky? oops i see it now :)

Cant find a UK retailer....

4. ThemacNub macrumors regular

5. EarthDawn, Dec 7, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2010

EarthDawn macrumors 6502a

EarthDawn

I got the 40gig sent and it was in my hands the day after I got my Pro :p
    I use external drives for all my media so I have little need for a large internal drive.

i bought the upgrade kit that comes with the exact tools and external box to put my old drive in .... or brand new drive in my case.
    Took about 15 minutes to swap the drives and put the original drive into the external case. I now have my backup drive.
    Reinstalling the OS onto the new SSD took maybe an hour....

Do yourself a favor and video your boot up with the stock drive before you remove it.... Kinda neat to watch it after you see how quick your SSD will boot up your pro :D

Heres an install video.

http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/macbookpro_13_unibody_hd/

6. ThemacNub macrumors regular

7. g33 thread starter macrumors 6502

might get struck with import tax! if i do, will it still be worth it for this drive?

8. g33 thread starter macrumors 6502

Can any1 recommend another drive other than the OWC?

9. ThemacNub macrumors regular

Even with the import tax you'll possibly get ($15-$20), the owc will still be the best value for money drive plus you also get the data doubler which allows you to use the hdd that came with your mac for your files

10. g33 thread starter macrumors 6502

thats true. however i can usually get VAT off items in the UK so potentially i would be paying a fair bit more for the OWC. granted that the OWC is a better performer. Surely there must be another drive out there thats as reliable or nearly as fast as the OWC?!

11. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

I've been using SSD's for several years. Currently my favorite is the OCZ Vertex 2 series. Fast as a rocket & readily available through Newegg.com. You won't be disappointed... :)

12. gewordenzijn macrumors newbie

Owc ssd

Hi,

I removed my optical bay and inserted a data doubler. Inside that is an installed OWC SSD 120 GB. All of my apps sit on the SSD and are LIGHTNING FAST.

I also replaced the stock hard drive on the MBP 13" 2.4GHZ (7,1) Mid-2010 with a Seagate 750RPM 16MB cache.

I HIGHLY recommend OWC's SSDs. They are SandForce driven and have over-provisioning in place (7% for the Pro, and 28% for the RE/RAID SSDs).

Have a look here:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/internal_storage/Mercury_Extreme_SSD_Sandforce

Their tech support and pre-sales departments are great.

Enjoy!

13. maflynn, Dec 7, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2010

maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

OCZ vertex 2 and OWC are favorites among the Mac crowd because of the sandforce controller.

With that said, its seems there's some issues with both SSDs on a 13" MBP. the OCZ is suffering from some sort of stability issue, just visit their forums to see (and search here), and the OWC model is having issues with sleep and the drive becoming non-responsive.

The OWC drive has a new firmware to be flashed which seems to fix the issue, that's the good news, the bad news is its a windows process to update the firmware. Why would OWC a mac focused company not release an OSX updater

14. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

Read my convo with the OWC rep at:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1057025&page=2

There seems to be a quick fix for the issue until the new firmware update (newer than 343....) is available.

15. g33 thread starter macrumors 6502

just bought a Vertex 2E 120gb. I hope its not going to give me problems! I would have got the OWC if it was readily available in the UK.