Best SSD for 2011 Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by webcity, Oct 12, 2011.

1. webcity macrumors member

Just wondering what the best SSD is for the 2.5GHz 2011 Mac Mini. Please bear in mind I'm in the UK so want something available in the UK.

2. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

Those made by Toshiba, Samsung, and Intel are more stable and reliable than those made by other makers.

3. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

The 6GB/S models cost more. Rather than lower the price of the 3GB/S models, they simply replaced them. You can still get the older ones and they are cheaper but they are rapidly vanishing.

I have OCZ Vertex IIs in our Intel Mac minis. They are older models and wouldn't take advantage of the 6GB/S SSD models anyway. I would think the newer mini would use the faster drive but I would check before spending extra to get 6GB/S only to find the motherboard in your mini only does 3GB/S.

4. nmodin macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I'm also looking to put an SSD in my Mac Mini, but it's the late 2009 model. When looking into what SATA version I have, according to Wikipedia it is a SATA II. However the wiki also states:

"The Intel-based Mac Mini moves away from the previously used Ultra ATA/100 to the newer Serial ATA interface, which offers a maximum 3 Gbit/s transfer rate, however all models of Intel Mac Mini have been limited to 1.5 Gbit/s even though the SATA standard supports a transfer of 3 Gbit/s."

So that would mean a theoretical maximum transfer rate of about ~187MB/s. If this is the case, it is fairly pointless to even look at anything faster right ?

5. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

The Sata Controllers in the 2011 Mac Minis and Airs are of type Sata III (6 Gbps).