Best SSD for 2012 13" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iamdavekennedy, Jul 1, 2012.

1. iamdavekennedy macrumors regular

Hi folks,

I'm contemplating switching out my optical drive to put my HDD into, and in turn purchasing an SSD to use for my boot volume, I'm just wondering if anyone has any recommendations or advice for doing so as I've gotten a little confused regarding other SSD threads on here (things like TRIM, fan speed recompensation and actual day to day running of an SSD and the like)

If someone could give me some advice that'd be great

Also looking to do the same process in my iMac so if you have any recommendations/advice on that too it'd be welcome!

Cheers!

2. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

Check out the sticky "SSD Buying Guide" by HellHammer at the beginning of this forum. Tons of useful information. I personally own a Samsung 470 and plan to buy the Samsung 830 in the near future. They are both fast, reliable, and the 256gb version of the 830 was recently on sale for only $189. You might also look at the Intel 520 series as I've read/heard good things about that model also.

3. iamdavekennedy thread starter macrumors regular

Hi yeah,

I've read through that but the 'guide' itself is a bit outdated in places compared to other posts later down the thread, but the problem is it's lots of people stating their own (mixed) opinions so it's gotten difficult to know whose voice to listen to, was hoping for a more succinct and diluted idea of what to go for!

I'll check out the ones you recommended though so thanks for those :)

4. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Anandtech says that the Samsung 830 is the best SSD for Macs right now. It's the same SSD controller that Apple is using in the new Retina MBP.

5. Xian Zhu Xuande macrumors 6502a

Xian Zhu Xuande

The only bummer about the Samsung is that it is much more frustrating to upgrade on a Mac (especially if you don't have good access to Windows) than some other SSD brands.

6. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

Samsung 830 or Crucial M4. The 830 is faster and more expensive. Doubtful you'll ever notice the speed difference outside of benchmarks.

7. Prime85 macrumors 6502a

Prime85

I love my 830 SSD! i have not had any issues at all with it

I bought mine new 512GB on ebay for $600

8. iamdavekennedy thread starter macrumors regular

Cheers for that, looking at the 830 but it's a bit more expensive over here, than the $189, if user418 has a link to the offer he seen that'll be great! :)

----------

Hey Xian,

Could you expand on this a little, I *could* have access to Windows, but it's not really something I'd want to do just for the same of upgrading (firmware?) as it means faffing around with installs and boot partitions or Parallels which I'd rather not do if I can avoid it!

9. Stetrain macrumors 68040

The 256GB version normally runs about $250, the $189 was a special sale from Newegg that's sold out now.

Since you're just using the SSD as a boot volume and keeping your HDD in the optical bay, you could go with the 128GB version, which goes for about $150:

http://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-7PC128B-WW/dp/B0077CR60Q/ref=sr_1_1

10. iamdavekennedy thread starter macrumors regular

Cheers for that, appreciated!

Yeah I was ideally looking at a 128 anyway but someone on one of the other SSD advice threads was saying that the 256 on their rMBP is already filling up after fairly rudimentary programs etc put on it for Design needs.

Don't suppose you can clarify what Xian was talking about earlier regarding having to use Windows to upgrade the 830 though? That could be the one thing that would sway me from it as I'd rather have something hassle free, especially for the on-the-road machine!

11. mpaquette macrumors regular

I've been running a Samsung 830 in my 2011 13" MBP w/o issue for the last several months. So far it's been fast and stable.

12. Prime85 macrumors 6502a

Prime85

He is talking about firmware upgrades for the drive, if there are any available.

I have had my 830 for about 4 months now and have not once upgraded the firmware on the drive and i have no issues at all. So i wouldn't call that an issue with the 830.

The speed on the 830 is amazing, programs open instantly and it brought my boot time from 1 minute down to 16 seconds!

i recommend activating Trim just to keep it running fast.

13. iamdavekennedy thread starter macrumors regular

Awesome!

Well thanks to everyone for getting back to me so far, seems the 830 is the one to go for here! Will keep my eyes peeled for a deal on one in the next few days!

14. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

There is a new OWC drive that is over 900GB, the Electra 6G, quite insane. If I had the money and wanted to throw a good drive in a small laptop like a 13" MacBook Pro, I would get that drive. It's very fast, and provides more than enough room for any mobile user -- even suitable for heavy video importing and 1080p storage of hours of footage -- plus could hold one serious music collection, or a movie library for on-the go.

15. ahdickter macrumors 6502

Crucial M4 is by far the best value (less than $1/GB). Everyone who has one installed (including me) says it runs well. Good luck!

16. Tobias Funke macrumors 6502a

Tobias Funke

Not seen the OCZ Octane 1TB drive then. :D

17. Xian Zhu Xuande macrumors 6502a

Xian Zhu Xuande

The Samsung SSD is managed through a Windows-only Samsung application. It is though this application that firmware updates are prepared and, from what I read in a few reviews, that some features are enabled.

There's some confusion on the subject as circumstances have apparently changed across firmware versions, but at the least it seems you will need Windows to prepare a firmware update which *may* be able to boot and run on the Mac. Boot Camp or more annoying shenanigans (the drive must be connected to the computer running the Samsung software) are necessary. At worst, it may be necessary to enable some good features of the SSD.

I was recently in the market for a SSD upgrade myself (Mac Pro) and found an incredible deal on a Samsung 256 GB through New Egg and pulled the trigger. As I continued to read these details and noticed that New Egg doesn't accept returns on the drive (just exchanges) I canceled my order. After additional research I just went ahead and ordered the M4. It is inferior in terms of hardware but they at least support Mac firmware updates (with road bumps along the way, given the drive's history). The M4 definitely needs TRIM to run its best in the long run, so the enabler will be a good idea there.

Anyone's definitely welcome to contradict my thoughts on the Sammy if they've got first-hand experience with the process. I've only researched it. One thing's certain about the Samsung 830: management BS and headaches aside, it's a good SSD.