Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

henryonapple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
I booted my 2011 27" iMac yesterday for the first time in about 10 months and just realized how incredibly slow it was compared to my Macbook Air.

Question to those who have upgraded their iMacs with SSDs, which SSD would give me the best performance and reliability?

Thank you in advance.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I booted my 2011 27" iMac yesterday for the first time in about 10 months and just realized how incredibly slow it was compared to my Macbook Air.

Question to those who have upgraded their iMacs with SSDs, which SSD would give me the best performance and reliability?

Thank you in advance.

My recommendation would be Samsung 840 Pro as first choice, then Samsung 840 EVO.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
thanks for the advice, may I ask why you chose these 2 models over others?

Most other SSDs use sandforce controllers which compress data to achieve their speeds. If data is already compressed then performance gets hit. Also there are numerous reports of sandforce controllers being unreliable... for example the toshiba 128GB flash modules on the Air are sandforce controllers and there have been a raft of people, quite recently actually, complaining about failures.

Samsung SSDs consistently get great reviews and samsung make all the components that go into their SSDs (I believe).

If you have a look around the forum I think many people run and like the Samsung SSDs.

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA

Thank you in advance.

Off topic.. But why do you have the iMac if you haven't touched it 10 months?

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
thanks for the advice, may I ask why you chose these 2 models over others?

There's really only one choice for SSD vendors right now - Samsung.

The 840 Pro is for the best performance where cost is no issue. The 840 Evo is for more budget conscious folk who want a little better cost per gig, but who still want decent performance.

That's not to say other vendors are bad, but Samsung is almost certainly the king right now.

henryonapple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
Off topic.. But why do you have the iMac if you haven't touched it 10 months?

I came across a deal about 10 months ago that I couldn't pass up, but didn't really need another computer at the time as I have two Macbook Airs

----------

Most other SSDs use sandforce controllers which compress data to achieve their speeds. If data is already compressed then performance gets hit. Also there are numerous reports of sandforce controllers being unreliable... for example the toshiba 128GB flash modules on the Air are sandforce controllers and there have been a raft of people, quite recently actually, complaining about failures.

Samsung SSDs consistently get great reviews and samsung make all the components that go into their SSDs (I believe).

If you have a look around the forum I think many people run and like the Samsung SSDs.

Funny that you mention the Toshiba, if you click on the link in my signature you will see the petition I created regarding that problem.

macthefork

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2013
I originally used a OWC Extreme Pro 6G SSD in my 2011 iMac, which worked very well. I was unable to update the firmware using OWC's updaters, however, and had to send it back to them for it to be updated. I currently have a Crucial M500 480 GB installed and this runs even faster than the OWC did. No Problems so far, and this iMac is wicked fast.

The OWC SSD is still working fine in a HP Laptop running Windows 7.

henryonapple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
Fair enough. If raw speed isn't your thing. The Samsung 840 non pro is a great performer for the price and is also an extremely reliable SSD.

I actually went for the pro version because money wasn't an option, and I'd rather get the best and open up my iMac once versus several times

henryonapple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
just wanted to update you guys that I installed the Samsung 840 Pro, enabled trim, and it's now lightning fast.

Last edited:

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I'd go with Samsung, there weren't 840 Pro's out when I did this but I installed 2 Samsung 830 drives in RAID0.

If I had to do it today, Samsung 840 Pro is what I would spend my money on.

NewMacUser20009

Suspended
Nov 15, 2011
DIY or Vendor

I am actually considering adding an SSD to my Mid-2011 27" iMac as well, but I'm a little hesitant to do it myself using the kit from iFixit. After watching the video on youtube & reading the instructions on iFixit I think this install may be beyond my comfort/skill level. I can just picture me spending 3 hours being very careful taking my time and then it won't turn on.

I am pretty sure Apple does not offer this as a service. Has anyone used a 3rd party to install an SSD in their iMac? I was thinking Micro-center may be able to do it.

push/pull

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2013
When I had a 24" iMac Best Buy said they would do this for $60 +. I asked about bringing in my own SSD too.

Now the new ones that are glued together may be another issue:confused:

----------

just wanted to update you guys that I installed the Samsung 840 Pro, enabled trim, and it's not lightning fast.

Lightning is pretty damn fast:D

Did you do a clean instal? Do you have 10% to 20% of your drive space free?
Are you running Mavericks?

pawtracks

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2009
Seattle, WA
I originally used a OWC Extreme Pro 6G SSD in my 2011 iMac, which worked very well. I was unable to update the firmware using OWC's updaters, however, and had to send it back to them for it to be updated. I currently have a Crucial M500 480 GB installed and this runs even faster than the OWC did. No Problems so far, and this iMac is wicked fast.

The OWC SSD is still working fine in a HP Laptop running Windows 7.

Not saying I prefer OWC over Samsung.

OWC firmware update: They have finally developed a solution to update the firmware yourself.
Prior to these updates you basically had to open your Mac, remove the SSD and put it in a windows machine to update the firmware (or send it to them...)

USB key: $5.99

or make your own: $0.00

macthefork

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2013
Not saying I prefer OWC over Samsung.

OWC firmware update: They have finally developed a solution to update the firmware yourself.
Prior to these updates you basically had to open your Mac, remove the SSD and put it in a windows machine to update the firmware (or send it to them...)

USB key: $5.99

or make your own: $0.00

Actually, the "Make Your Own" was what I tried, numerous times, even with OWC Support assistance, remaking the Disk and rebooting. The updater would boot fine. However, the updater never saw the OWC SSD that was installed on the internal SATA port. OWC's support verified it needed the Firmware update and eventually just said to send it back under warranty, which I did.

After receiving the SSD back from OWC, I didn't want a SSD that couldn't easily be user updated back in my iMac. That's why it resides comfortably in the Laptop, now.

henryonapple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
I am actually considering adding an SSD to my Mid-2011 27" iMac as well, but I'm a little hesitant to do it myself using the kit from iFixit. After watching the video on youtube & reading the instructions on iFixit I think this install may be beyond my comfort/skill level. I can just picture me spending 3 hours being very careful taking my time and then it won't turn on.

I am pretty sure Apple does not offer this as a service. Has anyone used a 3rd party to install an SSD in their iMac? I was thinking Micro-center may be able to do it.

disconnecting some of the wires was very tricky, i thought i broke my iMac

----------

When I had a 24" iMac Best Buy said they would do this for $60 +. I asked about bringing in my own SSD too.

Now the new ones that are glued together may be another issue:confused:

----------

Lightning is pretty damn fast:D

Did you do a clean instal? Do you have 10% to 20% of your drive space free?
Are you running Mavericks?

i meant to say "now lightning fast." yes i'm running mavericks, all is good

nynd

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2014
just wanted to update you guys that I installed the Samsung 840 Pro, enabled trim, and it's now lightning fast.

Question - I am also doing the same upgrade to a mid-2011 iMac with a 840 pro ssd. How did you enable Trim? Some places say not to enable it others say enable it and it may shorten the lifespan of the drive. Confused to say the least...

Guess the drive has automatic garbage collection built in... so no need (from Samsung website):

Special Feature
TRIM Supported
S.M.A.R.T Supported
Auto Garbage Collection Algorithm
AES 256bit Full Disk Encryption (Class 0)
World Wide Name supported

Last edited:

henryonapple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
Question - I am also doing the same upgrade to a mid-2011 iMac with a 840 pro ssd. How did you enable Trim? Some places say not to enable it others say enable it and it may shorten the lifespan of the drive. Confused to say the least...

Guess the drive has automatic garbage collection built in... so no need (from Samsung website):

Special Feature
TRIM Supported
S.M.A.R.T Supported
Auto Garbage Collection Algorithm
AES 256bit Full Disk Encryption (Class 0)
World Wide Name supported

this is the site i used

http://www.return1.at/trim-enabler-for-osx/

it was already fast without the trim, but not sure if it actually does shorten the life of the drive

Lfaraday

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2014
Ssd raid...and TRIM

Hi,
A month ago did an ssd upgrade to my wife's mac mini server...put 2 samsung 840 evo's and tried the strip raid...the speed was above 900MB/s for write and above 950 for read...my imac, also 2011 with apple ssd in was never hitting more then 180MB/s...
This weekend i made the upgrade of my imac as well, using OWC tools and videos...i've replaced the original HDD and the optical (had to put the apple ssd into optical's place, since the cable was not long enough) and the opticals sata is sataII...set up the raid and the starting speeds were above 900 but it was dropping back when running constantly the test for 8-10 cycles...the mac mini was not doing that. Then i have tried enabling the trim...currently it's back and holding the speed above 850 constantly...
The only thing i can think of as difference, since in system info bothe imac and mini had trim off, is the install of the os in the case of mini...mini got a clean install, and the handling of the trim was different on os level. Imac got just a hdd replacement...

Just wantedn to share, maybe someone runs into a similar situation

Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.