Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xPAULx

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2009
Wales (UK)
Hey guys!

I am going to be ordering one of the new 15" i7 Mac Book Pros and I have been looking in to installing an SSD myself. I didn't want to pay £1,039.99 for a 512GB.......So is there any cheaper SSD alternatives out there?

Btw Can anyone also recommend some good DDR3 RAM as I am looking to upgrade it from 4GB(2x2GB) to 8GB(2x4GB)

Thanks!

Gorilla Power

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2010
Go with the Intel X-25M G2. I have the 160GB version, its fast as hell. Its also apparently the most stable and proven SSD out there right now.

DesmoPilot

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
Go with the Intel X-25M G2. I have the 160GB version, its fast as hell. Its also apparently the most stable and proven SSD out there right now.

This; as far as SSDs go I can guarantee you will not find another that is as tried and true as the Intel G2 drives. With that said, any drive will do really; just make absolute sure whatever SSD your purchase has Garbage Collection.

phil123

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2009
Does the Intell drive have garbage collection? And does it have it in OS X? Or just in Windows?

DesmoPilot

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
That's Great!

Do they do them in bigger sizes, Around 500GB?

Thanks for your help!

Intel G2 drives come in 80GB and 160GB only; new drives are planned around the end of the year into early 2011. 500GB SSDs aren't really common; you could get a 256GB for about $650-700.

Does the Intell drive have garbage collection? And does it have it in OS X? Or just in Windows?

Yes they do. Also, Garbage Collection is on the SSD controller itself (so it's Independent from any OS), so it doesn't matter what platform you're using (OS X, Windows etc). TRIM is the feature that has to be supported by the OS.

xPAULx

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2009
Wales (UK)
Is it worth paying the extra for the pre-installed SSD from apple?

Also could anyone recommend some good RAM?

DesmoPilot

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008

Personally I wouldn't get the Apple (Toshiba) SSD drives, after-market ones are without doubt better; but whatever floats your boat.

When it comes to the RAM the MBP uses; RAM is RAM and basically any DDR3 1066 kit will do.

Gorilla Power

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2010

Don't go for Apple SSD. They are way crappier (compared to Intel). Extra RAM - get it from Apple. They have reduced the upgrade price by $200 and a very good value for what you're buying since it will also be covered under warranty.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
Intel X-25M G2 Intel X-25M G2 Intel X-25M G2 Intel X-25M G2 Intel X-25M G2 Intel X-25M G2 Intel X-25M G2 Intel X-25M G2 Intel X-25M G2 Intel X-25M G2

Sorry but seriously the Intel X-25M G2 is what you need. Intel turned the game upside down with their custom controller on the first generation and did it again the second time. It's the reason they command a premium but still have a cult like following.

Intel X-25M G2.
Get one.

xPAULx

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2009
Wales (UK)
Don't go for Apple SSD. They are way crappier (compared to Intel). Extra RAM - get it from Apple. They have reduced the upgrade price by $200 and a very good value for what you're buying since it will also be covered under warranty.

Anyone know any good bigger sized SSDs?

160 is too small for me at the moment

Thanks!

DesmoPilot

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
At around what price do you suspect?

Current 256GB SSDs are $600-$700. New SSDs will be based off of more efficient and cheaper to produce Flash chips, unfortunately with that said I'd still say at least $599 at launch for a 320GB model but who knows.

fuzzielitlpanda

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2008
Yes they do. Also, Garbage Collection is on the SSD controller itself (so it's Independent from any OS), so it doesn't matter what platform you're using (OS X, Windows etc). TRIM is the feature that has to be supported by the OS.

This is new to me. Any articles to support this claim?

Doc69

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2005
Alternatively buy a small SSD plus a HD

Anyone know any good bigger sized SSDs?
160 is too small for me at the moment

To save money, you can do what many of us have done, buy a small fast SSD like 80GB X-25M ($225 on Amazon) for the OS and apps, then switch out the DVD drive for a 2.5" HD. They are available up to 1TB now for around $250, or $70 for 500GB. The DVD-drive can then be kept in an external USB enclosure (around $25) for the few times you need it. I'm very happy with my setup.

fuzzielitlpanda

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2008
Shouldn't be new to you, GC was built to be handled by the controller. Read basically any SSD article and it should come up.

I've read a lot of them, but no mention that Intel SSDs use garbage collection (which is why I asked for the article that says it does). It would be great if it does.

DesmoPilot

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
I've read a lot of them, but no mention that Intel SSDs use garbage collection (which is why I asked for the article that says it does). It would be great if it does.

When they were released no they didn't support GC; but like many SSDs, Firmware updates brought GC into the picture.

fuzzielitlpanda

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2008
attached you'll find Intel SSD firmware release notes for all models. Nothing about GC in there.

An an aside, I'm not trying to give you a hard time. I just want to know if it really does have GC (never mentioned in any reviews). I've been thinking about picking up a corsair m225 since it does have GC. I think the term "garbage collection" has only been used for OCZ and Crucial SSDs.

Attachments

• Release Notes 2 1.pdf
    91.2 KB · Views: 203

DesmoPilot

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
attached you'll find Intel SSD firmware release notes for all models. Nothing about GC in there.

Guess I'm wrong on the Intel front then, I had heard and was under the impression that Intel was on the ball with GC. Guess you still have to use the Intel utility.

bugout

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2008
is everything!
I have no idea where that poster came up with the fact that intel drives have garbage collection, they most certainy do not.

They do however support trim, which for the mac os x user, is worthless.

DesmoPilot

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
I have no idea where that poster came up with the fact that intel drives have garbage collection, they most certainy do not.

They do however support trim, which for the mac os x user, is worthless.

Through customer's/fellow employee's and word of mouth; I admit I was wrong to not check it out myself though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.