Best ssd for MBP 13"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Iphone3gs, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Iphone3gs macrumors 6502

Please name which SSD you have at the moment (if you are using ssd instead of HDD). And can you give your comments.

I am looking to get a good SSD with decent memory. Which will maintain high speed even after long term use say after 1 year+.

A new ssd review i just came across below, any idea if these are better then the Intel -X25M or other decent ones?
    As these seem very new just came out recently.
    Does anyone have a comparison with grapshs to show which ones are better in speed and other details like efficiency, power usuge, heat consmption.

http://ssd-reviews.com/

Super Talent DuraDrive ET2 IDE SSDs and DuraDrive ZT2 ZIF SSDs Unveiled

Aug 3rd 2010

-----------------------------

These are list of top 10 ssds.

http://www.storagesearch.com/ssd-top10.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. vant macrumors 65816

Next month Intel will launch new SSDs. They are the market movers who dictate price. I'd wait for them to make a move.

3. Constantine1337 macrumors 6502

The most important thing when buying an SSD for mac is looking out for GarbageCollection. The problem is that OSX will not support TRIM and your SSD performance will degrade over time.
    OWC offers imho best SSDs at the moment, because the SSD itself has integrated GC and eliminates need for you to periodically "recondition" SSD on mac (which is pretty time consuming and involves erasing all data on the drive).

CLICK ME

Remember... you have a system that will not support TRIM, so unless you want to buy DiskKeeper from digilloyd, you will have to recondition your SSD from time to time. If you do not want to have your speeds degrade, check out the OWC SSD (or any other equivalent for that matter, altho I believe OWC is the best at the moment).

Hope it helps.

4. dave12345 macrumors regular

do you have a link to this please ? i'm looking to get an intel ssd but might wait if this is the case

5. Iphone3gs thread starter macrumors 6502

6. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

This article and discussion would seem to make the case that lack of TRIM on OSX doesn't matter.

http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=10/07/04/2226222

7. Tmacfan4321 macrumors regular

^ That X25-V is an X25-M with half of the read/write speeds.

That second link is probably talking about Intel's next generation of SSDs, the G3 line.

Also, any Sandforce controlled drive (OWC Mercury, OCZ Vertex 2, Corsair Force) will mostly share the same features and comparable read speeds. They all have GC, TRIM, and a decent amount of overprovisioning. I like SF SSDs, so I would suggest that you find the best deal on any of the three drives and buy that one.

8. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

9. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

Really? Already? I thought Q4 meant towards the holiday season though the earlier the better I look at it.

10. Tmacfan4321 macrumors regular

11. Tmacfan4321 macrumors regular

There are no set dates yet. They could announce them in Q3 or Q4.

12. circularforward macrumors 6502

+1. Although I think it's more like Q3/Q4 as others have mentioned, but next month would be very much welcomed!

13. Constantine1337 macrumors 6502

The article makes the case, that SSD degradation is OS dependent. The article also states, that OSX does indeed do better than Windows when it comes to file management, but it also says that "the degradation under OSX will not be as high", meaning that eventually you will end up with a degraded SSD which needs to be reconditioned (which will either cost you 40$ or you'll have to pray to Got GParted-trick will work for you).

Therefore, one should look out for a SSD that does some kind of error-correction of its own and is not system dependent.

14. Marklarry28 macrumors newbie

15. klover macrumors 6502a

OCZ Vertex. Installed it last week and it's lighting fast. Cheap too!