Best SSD for MBP: Sandisk vs. Samsung 830?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pjny, May 30, 2012.

1. pjny macrumors 6502a

hi, I had a 115 OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 3g I bought in March 2011. It just died today and the Macbook Pro 13" (2010) would only display a gray screen (no logo) until I pulled it out of the Data Doubler drive bay.

I inserted the SSD into an external drive enclosure but the drive activity light when connected to a MAC and a PC would be constant red and the drive would not show up under disk utility or computer management(PC).

Do you know what might have happened to this drive and is common with Sandforce drives as I have heard?

I am looking at either the Sandisk Extreme (240gb) or the Samsung 830 256GB. I heard the Sandisk is faster but the Samsung is more reliable. Which should I get for image processing in Adobe Lightroom.

I heard the Sandisk is faster with uncompressible data but the reviews show many problems.

I have OS 10.7.3

Thanks.

2. jamin100 macrumors 6502

I dont know the answer to your question (sorry)
    But can you tell me, did installing a SSD into your macbook make a difference in lightroom?

Im thinking about doing the same for my imac

3. pjny thread starter macrumors 6502a

It really didn't make a huge difference and I was disappointed. I wanted Lightroom to not stall everytime I processed a file. It took about 6-8 seconds per photo with hard drive and SSD(i tested with hdd and ssd to process 10 files). i think the speed is dictated by processor. i have core 2 duo 2.4 ghz and 8gb ram.

The bootup time was fast though. also moving files around is fast and opening apps too.

it sucks having to use hard disk after spending 1+ year with ssd. i might get 2x256gb samsung for the macbook.

4. jamin100 macrumors 6502

Thanks, My imac is a 2009 C2D 2.66ghz with 8GB RAM too so im guessing it wont make that much difference then which is a pitty :(

5. pjny thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, it might reduce 1-2 second per image MAYBE. I think it was about 1 second maybe.

6. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

I installed a Sandisk Extreme 240GB last week and it has been flawless for me. I have Trim enabled and no issues to report. Lightroom is noticeably quicker when loading and working through images.
    As for the comparison with the Samsung, they have a reputation for reliability and use a different controller than the Sandisk - the Extreme uses a Sandforce controller and will not write as fast with incompressible data. The Samsung does not have this limitation but is is slower at reading and also when writing compressible data. Most of the time you will be reading data - booting up, loading apps and images etc. so I personally don't put too much emphasis on the compressible v incompressible data debate. You also need to figure that even a lot of writing will be a mixture of compressible and incompressible data so not as much of a hit as people would expect.
    Time will tell how reliable the Sandisk is since it is such a comparatively new drive.
    I personally went for the Sandisk due to performance and price and have not been disappointed.

7. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I bought two Samsung 830 Series as soon as they released the 512GB size. One went into my 15" MBP, the other into my 17". Thus far they've seen some very heavy use, and are performing nicely.