Best SSD for MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Customhobo, May 27, 2009.

1. Customhobo macrumors newbie

Hey guys.

I had a thread the other day, and you guys helped me decide to get a MBP. (15" with 2.93 and 4gigs of ram)

The last thing I need to decide is which SSD to get for it?

Like I said before, money is not a factor at all in this purchase, so I want to get the very best one I can possibly get.

I have done some research, and it really comes down to just three different drives.. Intel, the Vertex and Samsungs 256.

I am not really a fan of the Intel because of its smaller size.. but if it will give better performace I would really like that (My current drive is 100gigs so I have learned to work with limited drive space, heh)

Vertex.. I know almost nothing about.

I have heard the Samsung is the best, and this is the one I am leaning to (I also have no problems with getting one off ebay)

So that's what I have so far.

Any info/tips would be great, thanks in advance.

2. bugout macrumors 6502a

The current winner right now, performance wise via the benchmarks is the Intel X-25M.

If you had 3 macbook pros sitting side by side, each one with a vertex (or the super talent ultra series, or the g.skill flacon: all exactly the same drive), x-25m and the samsung in it, you would not be able to tell the difference in real world use.

3. Customhobo thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow really?

I had heard so much that the type of SSD you get makes all the difference.. and that getting a poor one could sometimes be even slower then a HDD (Fresh from the box, without the write problems etc)

I'm also wondering if all three of these companies will offer firmware updates for these drives? (If and when TRIM is released)

4. bugout macrumors 6502a

The ones I mentioned above are all considered the "good ones" meaning they will all give you lightening fast performance. There are differences benchmark wise that some people will say are "huge". But in real world, actual day to day use, nobody would be able to tell the difference.

You'll have issues with some of the older/cheaper models though..

5. Customhobo thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright cool.

Any information on the firmware updates for TRIM?

6. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

None definitely coming. Only speculation as to when it will arrive. Tom's Hardware describes the observed slowdowns with the Intel and Samsung drives:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-performance-power,2279.html

I don't want to be the one to say this, but please search the forums for general advice on these SSDs. We've argued about these three drives a lot in the recent months.

7. walshlink macrumors regular

Not so...

From what I have read, the more you "use" a SSD, the slower it gets especially the more data is stored on the drive. I have read the Samsung is especially bad about this. Intel recently released firmware that keeps the X25-M from slowing down significantly...not sure about the Vertex.

You cannot beat the Intel X25-M right now. Period. The Vertex is getting close, but if you want pure overall performance, then get the X25-M.

8. Hydroxs macrumors regular

Here is an article explain why the more you use a SSD, the slower it copy and create files.

http://techreport.com/articles.x/16979/1

9. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Toshiba-512GB-SSD,6716.html

It depends on what you mean by "best". If you mean performance, I think the consensus here is that Intel has the best SSDs out today that have been reviewed.

However, as I posted in another thread, Toshiba is releasing a new line of SSDs with better (claimed) performance than their previous line. The numbers they released are very close if not better (write speeds) than the Intel X 25M, and it comes in a larger capacity (512 Gb).

I don't know if that drive is for sale to the public by itself yet (not bundled in a computer), but this drive is for sale at newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820609415&Tpk=512 gb ssd

So if you want a larger capacity, that seems like the drive to get--although it costs as much as another computer entirely. But you said money is no object. I don't know about real-world performance, but the numbers aren't bad.

10. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

11. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Keep in mind that almost always these performance figures show only sequential read/writes. For everyday performance what you notice most is random read/writes unless you are doing something like encoding video all the time. This is the area where Intel blows everyone else away. Take a look at this page to understand the random performance difference in the SSDs currently available:

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3531&p=25

12. bcaslis macrumors 68020

For the Intel SSDs you download an image file you use to burn a CD. You then boot from the CD which finds the SSD that is installed and it updates the firmware on the SSD. I've done with a new MBP and the X25-M 160GB.

13. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Thanks!

14. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

Id get the Intel X25-M 80GB or 160GB. If you get the 80GB just buy an external and use the ssd to load up applications and keep your itunes, etc.

15. Customhobo thread starter macrumors newbie

I was wondering this myself, thank-you.

How is the 160 X25-M? I see your specs are very close to what I would like to get, and I was wondering what your overall impressions are?

16. bcaslis macrumors 68020

My impression so far is that it's the best drive I've tried. I also had the Apple 128GB SSD (which was a Samsung, though not the latest generation). The Intel is clearly faster and certainly much faster than the WD Scorpio Black 7200rpm drive I had in the machine.

If you have a "good" SSD like the Vertex or latest Samsung, the Intel will be faster but in normal operation it won't seem hugely faster except in certain situations. But for me one of the biggest benefits of an SSD is the total lack of noise and vibration you get from a fast hard drive. Given the speed of the Intel SSD and the fact that they seem to be supporting end users pretty well are good points in my view.

17. Customhobo thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I am most interested in the Intel because they have already released firmware updates, and that is one of my main concerns.

Thanks for your input.

18. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

I was also looking at the x-25 160gb ssd. How do you deal with the smaller size? External drive?

19. bcaslis macrumors 68020

I agree, that was one reason I went with them also. Some people seem to say good things about the OCZ Vertex but based on looking at their support forums and other places I really get the impression that OCZ is mainly interested in shipping products whether it works well or not. I'd really like the Intel to be larger, but I'll take quality and performance first.

I'd recommend some of the articles on anandtech.com for more information. The SSD slowdown people talk about is not as big a problem as some are making it out to be. It will never affect read speeds and worst case write performance drop seems to be about 20%. It would be better if there was never a performance drop, but all hard drives slow down as they fill up more than this and even after a slowdown the SSD will still be much faster than a hard drive.

20. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Size is relative. :)

It depends on your needs. If you have a 320GB drive mostly full with stuff you use all the time then a 160GB SSD just isn't a good idea. If you can get away with less, then an external drive or a networked drive could be used for stuff you need less often.

21. Customhobo thread starter macrumors newbie

Ya, i have read A LOT of articals over the past week or so I think I have a pretty good idea on why the slowdowns happen etc (Which is another reason why I would like the Intel, because I have heard that there is a "wipe" disk that you can use if/when you decide to reformat that allows you that actually clear the drive 100% for new use once again)

22. Customhobo thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for the double post, heh, but I totally agree.

Like I said above, I have used a 100 gig drive for almost 5 years now and I try to keep it sitting at 40% free, so even with the x25-m the extra 60 gigs will still feel like nice leg room.

23. iaminsane macrumors newbie

a number of people have stated performance difference with "real world use" or "average circumstances" won't differ much. I personally am not an average user and my computer usage tends towards less than average circumstances.

customhobo - what do you intend to use the computer for?
    "general" usage like web browsing, word and spreadsheet applications?
    video editing?
    an audio workstation?

those three examples would each dictate one approach (or SSD/hard drive) over another.

if you can tell us how you intend to use the computer, you may find the feedback to be more valuable.

peace

24. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

Not sure that's really true, some SSDs are just better than others, whatever the use. Like the Intel X25s.

25. sascha h-k macrumors 6502

sascha h-k

in my umbp 17" 2.93 works the 160gb intel x-25m ssd perfect.

also win7_rc1 32bit with the new 3.0 boot camp on 2nd partition ... :D