Best SSD for mid-2010 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by robtotheb, Aug 22, 2011.

1. robtotheb macrumors newbie

I would like to upgrade for a speed boost but not sure which drive is faster or if I should go for a SATA 2 or 3 drive (is 3 pointless?). Not too tight on budget so whats the sweet spot currently? 120gb (or more) preferably. Thanks

2. Sankersizzle macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

I have a Vertex 2, which is the fastest SSD you can put in our laptops (as SATA3 is to supported, a Vertex 3 would run at Vertex 2 speed). It's never given me a trouble, and is fast as lightning. He boots in 7-8 seconds from dead cold, overall a pretty cool dude. People say OCZ customer support is terrible, but I've had only pleasant experiences with them. I phoned them and asked a question and they were super polite and offered me extensive help. I <3 OCZ.

3. vmachiel macrumors 68000

Yep OCZ is fine. I have an agility 2 240 gb and it is fast!

4. robtotheb thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Spiral21x macrumors newbie

ha, I have a vertex 2 as well! 180gb, I bought it about 8 months ago, first had it in a 2008 17inch mbp and now its in a new 13 inch mbp. I love this drive, can't even consider going back to a spinning drive. This line is really good for the money, I would also consider an Intel or one of those Seagate hybrid drives. You get almost ssd speeds and much cheaper.

6. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Just to play Devil's advocate, keep in mind that best doesn't necessarily mean fastest.

Sandforce drives, such as the Vertex series have not proven as strong in terms of reliability as brands such as Samsung and Intel.

The Intel x25-m is shooting down in price quite a bit and it has the strongest reputation by far as SATA 2 drives go.

If you're coming from an HDD, it's unlikely you're going to notice minute differences in read and write speeds between Solid state drives anyway, I'd go with the safest option.

http://forums.storagereview.com/index.php/topic/29329-ssd-failure-rates-compared-to-hard-drives/

N.B. Intel's failure rate is around 0.6%, OCZ is around 3%.

7. Modernape macrumors regular

I'm a little sceptical of that claim, I must admit - care to post a video on youtube?

8. kasakka macrumors 68000

Afaik the newer SandForce drives are still faster than the previous generation, even in SATA 2.

For the best compatibility, I would still recommend the Intel X25-M G2 or the Intel 320.

I have an OCZ Agility 3 and Intel X25-M G2. The Agility 3 refused to work properly in my desktop PC and OCZ tech support blamed the rest of the computer having too old BIOS option ROMs. Well I updated them and still no go, yet the Intel drive works without any problems in that same machine. The Agility 3 does work in my mid-2009 Macbook Pro just fine. In any case the whole experience didn't give me a favorable view of OCZ quality or tech support.

Speedwise there isn't any real difference between the two in real-world use.

9. Sankersizzle, Aug 22, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2011

Sankersizzle macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc-TxgVviLA

Keep in mind this is on a Vertex 2 with 1 year of non-TRIM duties under it's belt. A new one would boot much faster, mine certainly did.

edit: for some reason my annotation isn't playing nice, it starts its boot up duties at :14. Takes about 9-10 seconds to boot in this vid.

10. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

My Vertex 2 is in for RMA...

Fast as He** but not particularly dependable..

11. Modernape macrumors regular

That's not a cold boot, but I'm estimating startup at about :13 (just before the superdrive checks for a disc), then the desktop appears at :27. That's a 14 second boot. (Which is good, because that's what I get with an OWC Mercury)

12. Sankersizzle macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

I have a video of when I first got the SSD where it would boot in less than 10, I'll upload that when I get back to school where my external is. There are a few on YouTube that corroborate. But I must agree with you that it has slowed down aaalllootttt. I do a lot of heavy writing... Don't report me to the SSD authorities or anything, but I also do a lot of tormenting on my poor SSD drive :(.

13. espressoroast macrumors member

espressoroast

I installed an Intel 320 (300GB) when they launched and has since been very happy with it.
    No weird issues, just quiet and reliable speed, and lots of it. :)

14. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Intel x25-m in my 2010 MBP. still going strong after nearly two years now. Couldn't be happier after the nightmare I had with an OCZ Vertex. Would never buy that garbage again.

15. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

Based on what I've read, the Samsung 470 would be the choice for me. Surprised no one has said that yet. If I didn't have a Sandy Bridge chipset in my computer -- in other words, didn't have the SATA III option, I would go with the Samsung 470, no brainer.

16. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

LOL. nice tags on the YT vid

17. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Looks like a great drive. Thanks for bringing it up.

18. Freyqq macrumors 68040

the intel x-25m 160gb G2 is awesome. highly recommended, but i don't think they sell them anymore. The Intel 320 series replaced it, and they are also pretty good from what i hear.