Best SSD for New Macbook Pros

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by collegembp, Apr 26, 2010.

1. collegembp macrumors newbie

Intel seems to be the almost universal choice here. Is the OWC SSD a good choice? Which specific SSD do you recommend? How does it fare with degradation? Links to specific SSDs would be great.

Thanks

2. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

Intel drives are great; I have no experience with OWC but people here seem to give them the green light. Basically whatever size/speeds are totally up to you; just make sure the SSD you pick has garbage collection and you're good to go.

3. ttran88 macrumors regular

go with the crucial m225. its cheap and has big storage with garbage collection

4. zifty macrumors regular

I've got the OWC 200GB one and love it! Very fast.. much faster than the 256GB SSD I got from Apple (which was a Toshiba drive). I'd definitely recommend the OWC drives. No issues and I like reassurance of the extra data integrity they've built into it. Actual usable space is 199.7GB.

5. collegembp thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the replies. does intel have garbage collection? by my understanding, they have some TRIM command that isn't supported by Mac OS. How is that problem taken care of with the intels?

6. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

Intel has support for both TRIM and Garbage Collection. TRIM is an OS supported feature while Garbage Collection is on the controller itself.

7. bob5820 macrumors 6502a

bob5820

I've got the OWC 100GB in my MBP and the Intel 160GB in my MP. I'd recommend either one though the Intel may have a slight advantage in cost per GB.