Best SSD+HDD Setup (Efficiency Question)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dKran, Jan 16, 2011.

1. dKran macrumors member

Sorry if this has been asked before, I did a search, but couldn't find anything very close to my question.

I just installed an optibay in my 2010 17" MBP. I left my original 500Gb 7200rpm drive in it's original spot, and put an OCZ Vertex 2 120Gb in the optibay.

The OS was installed in the optibay, I moved my home folder to the HDD (which I'm now seeing may not be the best thing to do)

Basically, the HDD is spinning quite constantly, so it seems to be eating my battery rather fast (I'm seeing a loss of over 3 hours per charge).

So I'm just wondering what the best setup would be, efficiency wise, I have quite a large iTunes library, FCP Scratch, and ~4Gb iPhoto library as well.

Thanks a lot!

2. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Do you listen to tunes all the time that you're on the computer? How big is your iTunes library?

If it were me, I'd put my home directory on the SSD. That way you get the benefit of the SSD speed for Safari and other cache files (and you can surf the net without waking the HDD).

I'd get iTunes to store media files on the HDD.

I'd put FCP scratch on the SDD.

I wouldn't worry too much about iPhoto... it sounds tiny.

I'd try to keep the SDD under 75% full, to help the ware levelling - since cache and scratch files will be writing a lot of data.

3. dKran thread starter macrumors member

I certainly don't listen to music all the time when I'm on it. The library is approximately 125Gb with all the video (encoded for TV) included).

Wouldn't having the home folder on the SSD lead to performance degradation over time (Constantly writing to it with cache files, etc)?

The Capture Scratch is also large - approximately ~100gb of projects, though I don't use it super often either.

Would moving the home folder back to the SSD be the only thing I really need to do? Can I do this now that it's full of stuff? Would it simply move the folder back, but leave the data where it is for me to move myself?