Best SSD/RAM combo?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by serb, Jun 17, 2012.

1. serb macrumors newbie

I am about to buy a base 13" Pro and was going to order the Crucial 256gb SSD and Crucial RAM which are about $225 and $50, respectively. Is there any other RAM or SSD that compares to this for the same price? I also love the data transfer kit that comes with the Crucial SSD, simplifies things by a whole lot.

Also, what is better to have for basic tasks like word processing/surfing the net/watching youtube, higher read or higher write speeds? the Crucial SSD has 500mb/s read and 250 write.

2. hkim1983 macrumors 6502

I don't have any input on your questions, but you can currently get the Crucial drive on amazon for $180. Save yourself some money.

3. serb thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you, looks like i'll be getting from amazon then :cool:

another question, looking at crucial with the data transfer kit

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-2-5-I...tBy=bySubmissionDateDescending#R1YOM578VAJAOO

there seems to be bad things to say about the firmware and that it isn't amazingly compatible with macbook pro. anyone else have crucial M4 in their MBP?

4. Rajpdx macrumors regular

Lots of people use the Crucial M4.

It's an excellent drive. Make sure to update the firmware when you install it or preferably before - using the transfer cable. (you have to burn to a cd and boot from that).

With any Hard drive or SSD you should have a backup plan in place - even if you just get a cheap hard drive and put it in a case. Hard Drives and SSDs can and do fail.

That said, I know of lots of people using the M4. It's an excellent drive.