Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
The time before the spinner is all related to the firmware loading for various components in the system (main board and GPU, bootloader, etc.)

And it's different for various MP revs. My 2006 boots in about 25s. (from power btn to desktop with autologin) with single Intel G2 80 GB. I see in other threads, that this time vary between 1.1 and 4.1 rev.

Rad

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2006
Owc Ssd

Went from RAID 0 Raptors to a single OWC-brand SandForce controller SSD. Overall faster responsiveness, although my Raptor RAID was also very fast. No problems at all. Probably much more worthwhile if going from a regular single mechanical drive.

microcolt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 23, 2010
Behind You
The time before the spinner is all related to the firmware loading for various components in the system (main board and GPU, bootloader, etc.)

As I mentioned above, boot times also depend on a number of non-disk related activity as well such as networking, device initialization and loading drivers, etc.

Rest assured though, that any disk related activity is happening ALOT faster than before! :D

I understand that any disk related activity is WAY faster but it's my boot times that seem to have increased.

Power button...
to Bong = 2 seconds,
to Apple = 39 seconds,
to Desktop < 1 second.(auto login)

Could it be that my Mac is waiting for my Magic Mouse and Bluetooth Keyboard to connect?

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I understand that any disk related activity is WAY faster but it's my boot times that seem to have increased.

Power button...
to Bong = 2 seconds,
to Apple = 39 seconds,
to Desktop < 1 second.(auto login)

Could it be that my Mac is waiting for my Magic Mouse and Bluetooth Keyboard to connect?

That's a bizarre situation... It's taking over 40 seconds before you see the Apple logo? Yet only 1 second from there to the desktop? Very similar boot times overall, but totally different use of time at each stage. :confused:

microcolt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 23, 2010
Behind You
That's a bizarre situation... It's taking over 40 seconds before you see the Apple logo? Yet only 1 second from there to the desktop? Very similar boot times overall, but totally different use of time at each stage. :confused:

Yeah I admit it's strange, I just don't see why the startup time would take so much time. The only change I have made was switching from my Velociraptor to my SSD, and I copied the drive with Carbon Copy Cloner.

tomllama

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2007
CA
I'm happy to see that the OCZ Colossus actually works in a mac. I bought one a few months back and had to return it as my MP 1,1 would not recognize it existed.

Whaditis

macrumors regular
May 18, 2010
I'm happy to see that the OCZ Colossus actually works in a mac. I bought one a few months back and had to return it as my MP 1,1 would not recognize it existed.

at first my 2009 Mac Pro did not recognize it as well, but then I went into disk utilities and voila, it formatted it. I forget the term Mac Osx uses in disk utilities but it basically detects and formats it.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Yeah I admit it's strange, I just don't see why the startup time would take so much time. The only change I have made was switching from my Velociraptor to my SSD, and I copied the drive with Carbon Copy Cloner.

The only thing I can suggest is disconnecting all peripherals (including all other drives) to see if they are somehow responsible. Is the firmware having trouble identifying the startup volume?

I know that my USB audio interfaces and other USB stuff on the ACD LED 24" can slow the boot process down. The graphics card(s) you have could also have an impact. Who knows. I wouldn't worry about it too much. If your drive benches fine with AJA, then you can rest assured it's some other component taking it's sweet time to initialize.

SmilesLots

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2010
SW Virginia
I've been very happy with my two Intel G2 809GB SSD's connected asstriped raid to the extra sata ports in a 1.1 Mac Pro. I have not clocked it, but it definitely is faster. But my main startup drive is another raid 0 of two eagate 2TB drives = 4TB total. While not as fast as the SSD's, it does well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.