Best SSD?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gonzaload1987, Jun 7, 2010.

1. gonzaload1987 macrumors regular

I was wondering which is right now the best SSD on the market, because i looking forward to buy a 200-300 gb Drive.

After reading several threads i find out that OWC, Intel and OCZ (Vertex 2) has the best quality products.

Is it a good time to buy a new SSD or i should wait for a price decrease? i have bought before a 8 gb of Ram from OWC and works like a champ, but this is different and i will like to have your opinion.

Thank you so much for your time, hope the best to all! :)

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Well, if you are looking to buy a 256 GB (only size between 200 and 300), Intel is out. Their biggest is 160, but the other two offer 256. I have heard good things about both, although I am personally waiting for prices to drop a bit. I can't see spending 10x the cost of a 500 gig 7200 rpm drive on something half the size, but then again, I am a college student, so I have no money :p

3. gonzaload1987 thread starter macrumors regular

Thx for your advices but right now i'm between these two models and i don't know which is the best one:

OWC mercury Extreme Pro 240 Gb (7% over-provisioning)

OCZ Vertex 2 Pro 200 Gb (28% over-provisioning)

They have the same SF-1200 controller, and the performance it's almost the same.

What do you think guys? What about reliability and performance along the time? :confused:

4. DFTU101 macrumors member

I have the OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 200GB with 28% overprovisioning. Works great, no degradation in performance over 3 months (have an earlier Samsung SSD that has degraded over time). I use it in my MBP. Easy installation. The larger capacity 240 GB with 7% overprovision is newer but I'd probably get that now since I don't really need the RAID capability. The 200GB (vs the 240GB) will probably hold up better over the long run (years) but by then SSDs will be a lot cheaper with greater capacity so I'd go with the greater capacity.

5. Russianguy macrumors newbie

I agree that the OCW is not a bad drive and I think that there are quite a few manufactures offering SF1200 based SSDs.

I have heard of Runcore Kylin II and the MX technology DS series also featuring 480GB SSD with 30.000 IOPS.

OCW isn't freely available in Europe though, as far as I know...

6. gonzaload1987 thread starter macrumors regular

Thx, that's what i was looking for, someone who already had used it...have you notice in your usual usage some improvement (battery life, speed, heat dissipation, etc...)

I will appreciate any help. I'm from Argentina, but i can get it from the US, so i'm looking to purchase the best in this time :cool:

7. DFTU101 macrumors member

The OWC SSD definitely runs faster (quick boot times & applications launch). You won't be able to stand the pace of a regular hard drive once you make the switch. It also is quieter and runs cooler especially when I an running intensive programs. It is expensive but if you are looking to improve the speed of your computer, it is one of the best ways IMO.

8. gonzaload1987 thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry again guys, but I would like to know if anyone has acknowledge about Intel's G3 new ssd series, because I was reading some benchmarks between Intel g2 vs owc and in terms of random read/write intel is the king and the difference in money is huge (I know, owc offers 240 vs 160 gb but the speed it's almost the same).

I think that it's the best way to go, wIt for the new intel g3 series, what do you think people?

9. gglockner macrumors 6502

gglockner

Another option is the new Seagate Momentus XT hybrid hard drive. I'm on the fence between this and the Intel; Seagate may be at a sweet spot for price/performance, and it doesn't have any issues with write performance. Its performance is not quite as good as a SSD but it's close.

10. DFTU101 macrumors member

Tomorrow's technology will always be better than today's. Yes, in all likelihood the next generation Intel SSDs will be better than what is out now. Problem is...you...have...to...wait.