Best Stand for the Macbook Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by stfwayne, Jun 5, 2014.

1. stfwayne macrumors regular

Have a new Macbook Air 13" i7 / 8GB / 128 on the way and want to get the best available stand instead of using a stack of textbooks (my current solution for a stand)

I'd like to elevate the Air so I am not hunched over and hurting my neck and back.

While I dont plan to do much typing on the stand I still would like to find a stable and sturdy stand that doesnt wobble

I also would prefer to purchase the stand from Apple.com since I have a gift card that I need to use

Here are my top choices:
    - Rain mStand
    - elago L3 stand
    - Rain iLap

If anyone has experiences (positive or negative) with these stands please share them

Also if anyone can recommend another stand that I havent listed or isnt listed on the Apple website I will look into buying that as well.

My budget is under $100 but I would like to spend around $40-50

I have searched all over the web and in other forums and the problem with the Macbook Air and it's somewhat different design on the bottom of the unit is most of the stands are built for the Pro / Pro Retina so the Air doesnt exactly stay put well on most stands due to the curved shape of the bottom esp the curved nobs.

Your help is greatly appreciated guys!

2. dagored macrumors 65816

I have the Rain mStand. This is a first class piece of equipment. Very happy with it.

There is a lip and rubber bumpers that hold your Air. Check out B&H.

3. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

I also use the Rain Design mStand and it fits my needs perfectly. My setup includes an external monitor plus bluetooth keyboard & mouse.

Can't comment on any other stands.

4. stfwayne thread starter macrumors regular

Does the stand wobble when typing on the MBA keyboard or using the trackpad?

Does the MBA sit on the stand in a stable fashion?

5. L T macrumors 6502

L T

I can't comment in the stands, but I don't think you can use the gift card on the apple online store. Only I. An actual apple store

6. sfwalter macrumors 68000

sfwalter

7. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

Roost makes great portable stands that raise your macbook up to an ergonomic level. You'll need a keyboard and mouse. Oh, and like $80 lol. I really like mine and the portability means you can take it back and forth from work and home.

Attached Files:

8. Orr macrumors 6502

Orr

9. stfwayne thread starter macrumors regular

Glad that so many people like this stand kind of puts my mind at ease after reading so many negative reviews coming specifically from Air owners

10. dagored macrumors 65816

No, but I use Apple's bluetooth keyboard. The stand would e a bit too high for me to type on comfortably.

11. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

It depends on your perspective, I guess. $50 for a quality stand isn't all that much, depending on how much it's used etc.

----------

I don't know as I use an Apple bluetooth keyboard & avoid the trackpad when I can.

Yes it's very stable.

12. stfwayne thread starter macrumors regular

$80 is a bit much and that stand looks like someone could come by and knock it over not ideal with kids running around

13. stfwayne thread starter macrumors regular

Still debating whether or not I should get the mStand

Want a stand that props the Air up at an angle but still allows me to use it WITHOUT buying an extra keyboard and mouse

I dont have the space for the keyboard and mouse and using the extras are a hassle I do NOT want to deal with

has anyone found a stand that allows this type of use without accessories?

I was thinking maybe an Ikea Brada
    http://www.amazon.com/Ikea-Laptop-S...TF8&qid=1402498308&sr=1-1&keywords=ikea+brada

----------

Can you access the trackpad cleanly without hitting the lip?

14. dagored macrumors 65816

That is a lap pad, the mStand is not really a lap pad, but a desk stand to raise the Air screen to eye level. It even has a place underneath to place the keyboard when not in use.

You want the Rain iLap, if I read this last post correctly. The Brada is for your lap.

15. stfwayne, Jun 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2014

stfwayne thread starter macrumors regular

I dont want a lap pad I want a stand that i can put on my desk that will raise the laptop to eye level but still allow me to use the keyboard and trackpad

That is why I suggested the Brada bc it seems like it will allow that type of use.

Ive read that the Rain iLap is not good to use on the desk as the position of the felt wrist stand leads to awkward typing angles and doesnt allow easy access to the trackpad

Right now I have three textbooks I stack one on top of another and put the Air on top of that. When I work and study I dont really use my keyboard (besides pressing space bar to pause/play videos) that often but really do utilize the trackpad to scrub video tracks and move from desktop to desktop and scroll thru pdfs

I want a stand similar to this one but without the huge bumpers on the bottom that would dig into my wrist:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BXCDOH0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

16. dyn macrumors 68030

Due to the nature of a notebook this is impossible. Even with those hybrid machines (notebook/tablet). There is only one way for an ergonomic setup where you do not have aching body parts (neck, back, shoulders, arms, hands, fingers) and that is to elevate the notebooks display to eye level and use an external keyboard and mouse. The way you want it will shift the pain to other body parts (shoulders, arms and fingers due to needing to keep your arms raised and typing on a slope).

The Rain iLap is not meant to be used as a stand. It is created so you can comfortably use a notebook on your lap. Rain has meant the mStand to be a stand. The iLap nor the Elgato one will raise the notebook to your eye level unless you are very very small. The mStand is a different story, it will raise the notebook to a comfortable eye level. The Roost Stand will do the same but it looks like it will raise the notebook up a lot higher (check out the specs, they'll tell you the exact story!). The mStand is very sturdy, you can type on it if needed (not recommended from any ergonomics point of view). And yes, the Air is perfectly fine on the mStand. It won't slide off and if you maintain the rubber feet it won't move in the stand nor would any other notebook.

So out of the 3 things you've listed, only the mStand is a real stand and only the mStand will raise the notebook to eye level. The others are not suited and more aimed at lap use. There are other stands that are like the mStand so do search around the forums here for other stands.

17. stfwayne thread starter macrumors regular

18. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

That surely won't raise the laptop to eye level, but best of luck with it.

19. stfwayne thread starter macrumors regular

Actually the Aviator stand raises the stand up 3 inches while providing a strong and stable surface to type and use the trackpad without having to purchase separate keyboard and mouse.

If anyone needs a stand that raises their computer and reduces eye strain and neck strain then you should give the Aviator stand a chance. It is sold by Amazon so if you dont like it returns are free and effortless.

Im loving it so far, it is very stable and portable and best of all under $20

20. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

Yes, by all means, trade in your neck strain for arm and wrist strain. Not only will you compromise your wrist you won't even fully relieve your neck/back strain with a mere 3 inches. I understand being on a tight budget but honestly you're offering bad ergonomic advice.

21. stfwayne thread starter macrumors regular

I need to type on my Air without using an external keyboard and trackpad

It's not about the money Ill pay for something if it is worth it for me and from what i read (and tried in stores) most said it bounced and moved up and down when typing

Also for the use, watching lectures and taking notes where i have to scrub video back and forth and start and stop the video multiple times i need a stand that is lower to the table

I clearly stated that my needs and how the stand met them, maybe it wont meet the needs of others but there is not another stand on the market that offers the ability to type while sitting at an incline even if it is half of the mstand at 3 inches instead of 6 inches

I read multiple reviews on different websites, watched videos, and there is not a stand besides maybe the iLap that allows the Air user to type directly with the laptop propped up

The Aviator stand allows me to rest the laptop off a desk so it is closer to my body for typing and for watching videos. It is super comfortable and while the bottom lips on either side get in the way at times it is not more intrusive than the huge metal piece in the center of the trackpad on the mStand.

The stand is only $20, fits in my bag, and honestly if i dont like ill throw it in the garbage and not worry about the $20 spent. You can buy the stand and try it if it suits your needs if not then who gives a **** in the first place

22. deeddawg macrumors 604

Illegitimi non carborundum.

There'll always be people who can't get out of their own use case / scenario and understand someone else's. Best to just ignore them.

23. dyn macrumors 68030

And that's exactly what is defying ergonomics. You need to have something to rest your arms on which means that a stand alone is not enough. Just look at the advices and other information about ergonomic workplaces and make your own decision. Or find out the hard way. All ones own choice to make ;)

Ergotron has special stands for notebooks that can switch between sitting and standing position. There are many other companies that make similar products. Most are US based since standing desks seem to be a US thing. Those stands are not cheap though but they are well made and will last.

That depends on much money you have and how you look at it. To some $20 is quite a considerable amount. But if it is crap you'd wish you'd have only spend $20 and not $200 :D

24. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Rain Design M Stand, quality,quality,quality!:eek:

25. inscrewtable, Jun 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2014

inscrewtable macrumors 68000

inscrewtable

Crane plus

I've been using the Crane plus for a year and it is fantastically versatile if you like industrial design and quality.

It can be in a C shape or a Z shape, provides plenty of air around the bottom too.

Best thing about it apart from the quality is the versatility as demonstrated in this video

Attached Files: