Best Steak in New York?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MICHAELSD, Aug 5, 2008.

1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Does anyone know where I can find the best steak in New York? I'm going there in a week from today, and I want to know where I can find the absolute best steak. I tried Peter Luger's last time I was there, and it was only very good, it didn't amaze me in the ways I thought. Plus, I like to cut my own steak and not share it. The best steak that I ever had was in some steakhouse in NY that isn't widely known, but wow, was that place amazing. The best meal I ever had, too bad I forgot the name.

Price, atmosphere, and location don't really matter (at least for the trip to NY), I simply want the best meal (especially steak) that I've ever had, one that will blow me away and amaze me. I was thinking of the Sparks Steakhouse, but I'm not totally sold on going there. I'll usually go with the signature steak, but my favorites are porterhouse, filet mignon, and New York Strip served medium rare. Any ideas?

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

3. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

Well, if you thought that Peter Luger was only "good," then I wouldn't have a clue what taste you're looking for in a steak. Sorry, can't help you.

4. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Which cut would you recommend at Uncle Jack's? Is the Kobe beef worth it? How big is the Kobe cut (if you've seen or asked about it), they don't give the oz size on the menu?

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I had the filet mignon which was the best steak I ever ate. It is what I ate regularly as I used to live in Bayside.

Had the Porterhouse in the city which was awesome.

6. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Kobe beef is usually quite small in terms of weight, but it's fantastic. In fact, the best steak I ever had was in Kobe, Japan. ;)

Even if you order the Kobe beef, chances are you're going to get something called Wagyu beef, which is basically steak that's like Kobe beef, but not quite, as the beef is raised outside of Japan.

8. MicBook macrumors regular

Same here

Whether you like it or not Peter Luger is the best steak you have ever had

9. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

Whether

10. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

I would have to go with Kobe as well! Bu its real essence is only in Japan! Lovely stuff!

11. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I decided on Uncle Jack's. I'll tell you guys how it is when I get back on Tuesday! Is there anything I should know before I go?

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

13. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I can definitely say that it was the best meal I've had all year. Service, food, everything is about as perfect as it could've been. My dad wanted to share the kobe beef. I didn't think 16 oz would be enough for both of us, but I was wrong! Kobe beef truly does melt in your mouth, it's an amazing cut of steak. We ordered the crab cakes as an appetizer, they were great. I remember my dad saying that it was the best crab cake that he ever had, and he's had them in Virginia, NJ, and New Orleans. The desserts were amazing, too. I've been to a lot of the major steakhouses in NY, and service was the best here. I'll write a better review tomorrow (I've been planning on writing one for a week, it's kind of late now). Thanks for the recommendation! Here's some pictures from when I went:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]