Best Storage Config for LR

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ryanide, Dec 17, 2015.

1. ryanide, Dec 17, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2015

ryanide macrumors 6502

I know this has been asked many times and I have read through many of the posts. I'm looking to upgrade my system that will primarily be used for Lightroom and photography.

I'm currently using a rMBP (2.7Ghz i7/16GB/512SSD) with a Thunderbolt LED display. My 100K image catalog is 196GB that I store on the SSD and the Photo images are 1.5TB stored on a Thunderbolt 3TB WD RAID (2-drive). I backup both to a 10TB NAS plus use Time Machine for the system BU.

I have had many sleep/wake problems that I believe is related to the Thunderbolt chain, so I'm considering moving away from that when going to the new iMac.

Do you think it is best to go with a 3TB Fusion drive and put both my Catalog and the Image files on it? Or, go with a similar setup to what I have now, with a 512SSD to store the Catalog while keeping the Images on the Thunderbolt Drive?

As far as performance for using LR, which storage option is going to be optimal?
    I would buy the 4Ghz i7/395X/32GB + ??

Hopefully someone else has already done a similar setup and can offer advice. Thanks.

P.S. If I do use the Fusion drive to store everything, then I would probably use the old Thunderbolt drive as an additional backup drive.

2. desmond2046 macrumors regular

desmond2046

I am a LR user and have about 500GB raw image files (dated back to 2007). I am happy with my 2TB Fusion drive because I really like to keep everything on one drive. The Fusion drive is as fast as the old SSDs I have been used to.

I also keep all the raw image files backup on Microsoft OneDrive (It offered unlimited storage but it is no longer the case...). I always trust the cloud more than a physical drive.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's basically my setup. I couldn't fit everything on a 512GB SSD, the 2TB Fusion drive made the most sense. I went for the 2TB Fusion drive, so I'd have the larger flash storage.

4. ryanide thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm liking the idea of having the catalog and image files all on the main Fusion drive. Seems like it would work better. Thanks for the input.