Best storage solution for a mac mini?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by phonitron, May 5, 2012.

?

Which option would have best performance?

1. SSD + eSATA Thunderbolt Hub

7 vote(s)
    87.5%
  2. Lacie 4TB Thunderbolt 2Big as boot drive

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. New anti reflective iMac if and when it comes out

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. phonitron, May 5, 2012
    Last edited: May 6, 2012

phonitron macrumors member

Howdy folks, quick question if i may... Which would be the best solution for a current gen base mac mini? I've upgraded the RAM to 8GB but still have the stock 500GB drive where OS X is installed. I have my photo libraries, music and video collection on a LaCie Quadra which I've just upgraded from 500GB to 2TB and its connected to the mini via FireWire 800. I'm looking for performance gains mainly. Anyway, here's a few options I'm playing with.

Option 1: Crucial M4 128GB SSD (£100ish) + LaCie Thunderbolt eSATA Hub (£150ish) to accompany my existing LaCie Quadra which I've just upgraded to 2TB.

Option 2: Remove 500GB internal drive from mini but use a Lacie 4TB Thunderbolt 2Big drive as the boot drive and storage area

Option 3: Buy an iMac! Actually I returned one a while back because I couldn't cope with the glass display. I developed a twitch in my eye which disappeared when I went back to my old 20" Aluminium ACD. If the new one has an anti reflective coating I may consider selling my existing configuration? Dunno...

2. phonitron thread starter macrumors member

Wow. 500 views and no comments... Thought someone might have weighed in with some offers of expertise/experience.

Well FWIW I think I'm swayed towards the lacie thunderbolt drive and removing the HD inside the mini. Think it's going to offer better performance and ease of expandibility in the future.

3. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

I'd go with internal SSD mated up with Thunderbolt or some other fast external storage.

4. RIS macrumors newbie

My gut feeling would be the internal SSD, although that means opening up the mini.

I think this will give you the best performance "feel" because the OS will be quick.

I have a crucial M4 512GB on order to fit into a dell precision laptop, I will let you know how that goes. I have a 2012 i7 MBA with 256GB SSD and it feels great, that spurred on my decision to update my work windows dell.

I would be very interested in what you decide and how it performs.

5. phonitron thread starter macrumors member

Cheers guys. I am tempted by the SSD and ideally would like both SSD and the LaCie 2big thunderbolt drive but I will get one then the other in a few months. On the specs page the LaCie lists transfer speeds as fast as 327MB/s whilst the SSD is 500MB/s for read and 175MB/s... Hmmm.

6. RIS macrumors newbie

The speeds for the TB external LaCie look very tempting, I believe (but have never tried it) you can boot from an external TB drive, so that might be a low hassle option?