Best Streaming App for Media from XBMC?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by looseshoe, Apr 21, 2014.

1. looseshoe macrumors newbie

Hi
    I've got a lot of media (tv shows, movies, music) that I would like to stream to my Ipad 2 from XBMC. What is/are the best apps for this? I've got many file formats and would also like to play 1080p files (I know the ipad2 isn't HD!) as I don't want to do any converting, I just want to choose a movie and play it.

I bought AVPlayerHD but it won't play/download anything (I can't see how to start streaming and files never download (0.0%)). After that failure I'm not too keen to spend hundreds buying every app in the store to find one that works!

I'm not too concerned about the price (within reason!) but I'd prefer to buy a "pro" version rather than a million IAPs.

I was using Super Player - I like the simple UI with thumbnails a lot - but it doesn't play most of my file formats.

I've done a fair bit of googling but I'm running into a lot of reviews from years ago so it's hard to know what's still relevant.

Thanks

2. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

nPlayer is my weapon of choice for movie playback. Has both streaming and download support from shares and I use it for downloading content from my Plex Media Server for the times when I am going away travelling.

3. looseshoe thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Donka, I've given nPlayer a try and it works perfectly! Playback is very smooth and no problems finding my files over the network - definitely recommended!

4. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

You're welcome. It's a top app. :)