Best Streaming Box w/ Netflix

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by arcticmonkey227, May 9, 2010.

1. arcticmonkey227 macrumors member

I'm looking for a Streaming box to go in my living room with only a few parameters

1) It streams Netflix
    2) It can be connected to external hard drives for movies (mp4) & music (aac)

I'd like to keep spending to a minimum. Is there anything out there with these features that isn't too expensive? Blu-Ray and everything else would be welcome, but I'm looking to spend no more than $250-300.

Thanks!

2. fkntotalkaos macrumors 6502

They make TV's that stream now for not much more than you want to spend

3. DSchwartz88 macrumors 6502

some sort of nettop (Acer Revo etc.) and Boxee :)

Boxee is kind of the greatest thing since sliced bread.

And for everyone thats gonna come in here and run their mouth about plex, I dont wanna hear it.

4. vizfxman macrumors regular

I stopped by Best Buy tonight looking for something to stream Netflix and picked up the Seagate FreeAgent Theater+ which was on sale for $80.

I currently have it plugged into my router via the ethernet cable - the wireless adapter for the unit is available at an extra cost, unfortunately.

So far I like it (though I've only been using it for about an hour). It's playing my movies from Netflix, and seems to find my network and the movies/music I have on drives.

5. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

An xbox360 and PS3 are always an option, plus you'll be able to play games on them

6. arcticmonkey227 thread starter macrumors member

I really am liking the look of the new Popbox set top box.

http://www.popbox.com/index.php

It seems to do everything I'd want for a low price. Thoughts?

7. Pili macrumors regular

I use my ps3 for essentially all my home theater media. Bluray, netflix streaming, streaming mkv's and mp4's via ps3 media server from my desktop, and the new MLB.tv app.

The only real down side is the lack of native support for a lot of video formats but ps3 media server transcodes and streams almost anything you throw at it so playing directly from the ps3 isn't really necessary in my experience (as long as you have the ps3 wired up via ethernet, streaming HD over wifi can be a mess).

Plus it can play games if you want.

8. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I've got a nice LG Blu-Ray drive that streams Netflix better than my computer does.

I know you can attach a thumbdrive to play videos, but I don't know what formats and what kind of drives you can use. Nice option, though.

9. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

With the announcement of Google TV and Apple likely to respond you might not want to make purchase just yet.

10. arcticmonkey227 thread starter macrumors member

How long will it be until Google TV boxes are on the market?

And the WD TV Live Plus just came out with everything I think I would want. Does anyone know what the UI is like on the WD boxes?