Best streaming movie services.

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Tech198, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Tech198 macrumors G4

Hi all..

Are there any "good" movie streaming services ?

Netflix is good and I use the term "good" loosely, as while there are movies on there to watch,, nothing on there is new.... its old hat........ and TV shows mostly. Hulu Plus is out too, since its full of ads...

I thought of Itunes, but the only problem with that is there are no New Releases (aka Men in Black 3 for instance) or anything else just come out.

However, since I would like to watch directly via Apple TV, I don't think that gives me much option.. Plus, i think i'm at the mercy of the studios here if they "wish to acquire license"

Suggestions ?

2. slothrob macrumors 6502

Men in Black 3 hasn't even been released on disk, yet. I doubt you'll find a legitimate service that releases many major movies before they are released on disk, though iTunes occasionally releases one, like Battleship. Sometimes iTunes even has movies before they hit the theaters, like Solomon Kane.

3. Nychot macrumors 6502a

If you have an atv2 jail break it and you can see most current films free and legally. From Where and how they are emenating is a mystery. The thing is most if whats being produced is crap.

4. slothrob macrumors 6502

I tend to doubt that.

5. hafr macrumors 68030

No, you can't. People tend to think it's somehow legal to stream pirated movies but not download them, which is about as silly as believing it's okay to drive around in a stolen car but not have it parked on your driveway when you're done with it.

6. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

what if you could make a copy of the car without damaging the original?

7. hafr macrumors 68030

This is not an ethical nor legal question about whether copying intellectual property is a victimless crime or not, it's about believing streaming an illegal copy would somehow make it legal.

8. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Not way to do it "Legally"

OP, iTunes is your best bet, they do have new releases, MiB3 haven't been release to anyone yet.

9. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I don't think there is one "best" service out there. I use Netflix, Hulu, and iTunes and one isn't better than the other but all 3 together make me happy.

10. dugbug, Aug 26, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2012

dugbug macrumors 65816

dugbug

Crackle svcs is free and a good source of anIme. Apps support AirPlay to atv but I find them unstable. Best to use safari on mountain lion to AirPlay from.

Edit: crackle is sony's movie streaming svc but has tv shows too sch as Seinfeld and three stooges.

Abc has their own streaming svc apps for their mini Hulu kind of stuff. Obviously just abc tv shows. Apps support AirPlay to atv also I believe.

Adult swim's app Allows you to stream several of their original shows (full episodes). Also should AirPlay to atv.

AirPlay also opens you to Hulu free on mountain lion which has a lot of stuff.

11. dugbug macrumors 65816

dugbug

yeah just to confirm the adult swim app does support airplay. as does vudu from mountain lion (they restrict airplay from iPad for some #*$& reason)

VUDU does however have very cheap rentals for recent releases (itunes is pretty pricey even for standard def). Im not so sure its all that different from itunes.

12. Tech198 thread starter macrumors G4

ok thankx.... I guess 12 month then is considered as "new Releases" then for Apple.

Solution here though would be simple if movie studios would allow this.

ARound about the same time they get movies in theatres, move studios could then "give" licenses out to whoever wants to stream them.... Apple.. Netflix etc...

This would solve all....... But instead, seems Apple must rely on DVD which usually would mean 6 to 12 month ....... No way to get these quicker? on the legal front that is.

Just to also point out... to make movie studios more happy, they don't even have to release at same time to stream...... maybe few months after they go in cinemas .... but 6 months is too long ...**shakes fist**

no wonder why people turn to piracy.

Is Hulu any good ? I heard its full of ads.... i thought that was the reason to get away from TV in the first place. Thinking of giving this a go though never-the-less.

13. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

:confused: Can i have some of that you are taking?, seen fun

MiB3 was release May 25, 2012 - DVD/Bluray release date haven;t been announced yet by the studio.

I'm not sure in what calendar there are 12 months between May and August ;)

14. Tech198 thread starter macrumors G4

lol..

it was in general, not at any specific movie title.

15. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Apple has some that comes out the same day as the DVD
    Hulu has stuff I like and i dropped my DVR because of it. yes it has ads, 1-2 per normal commercial spot. In the time I would fast forward through commercials on my DVR it's about the same amount of time (because I would FF too far, have to RR and so on).

16. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

iTunes always has new release the same day they are released to Disc. Sometimes sooner.
    Much easier to pre-order and the movie be pre-downloaded and ready to go the moment it releases than to drive anywhere and rent or buy a hard copy.

All other options have been covered for the most part. That can be discussed anyway.

17. iHailCarlo macrumors 6502

18. slothrob macrumors 6502

I don't think it would apply in general, either. I haven't looked into it specifically, but I doubt there are very many movies released 12 months after being in the theater. I suppose in some cases, such as when a movie is released around Thanksgiving one year and the studio might feel that the movie might sell well if released right before Christmas. Perhaps this was done with some of the Harry Potter movies, but I don't think it's very common or any policy particular to iTunes.

The release date has little to do with Apple and much to do with the marketing decisions made by the studio that owns the rights to the film.

19. Buckeyestar macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

Movies don't take 12 months to come out on home video or iTunes. Usually it's 5-6 months after a movie releases I theaters. Older movies that precede the existence blu-ray or iTunes are only released when the studios or creators feel like it.