Best student discount on this new iMac??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thatg, Aug 10, 2007.

1. thatg macrumors member

ok i want the 24inch so nice man. retails 1800 then tax so lets say 1960. my personal student discount gives me 100 off so thats 1700 and i get a free nano i can sell for maybe 150 so lets say 1710 after tax. i keep reading adc this and that what does it stand for is it kids with accademic scholarships?? i have a freind at nyu who gets 10percent off which is better than my discount but ive got plenty of bright friends im sure one of them would let me use their adc discount if it is infact an academic scholarship, can someone confirm this for me. also are there better deals i dont know about. im assuming no because it just came out.

2. drewfus macrumors 6502

drewfus

ADC is the Apple Developer Connection...for people who are looking to develop applications for OSX and such...so unfortunately, not really anything to do with academic scholarship.

3. thatg thread starter macrumors member

4. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

You're better off going through the normal Education store. Even with the ADC discount you'd still be paying more than the education price when you factor in the $99 membership fee.

5. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I go to NYU too and they do have slightly better prices on macs as long as you don't get BTO options. It's only a little bit less than the regular edu pricing though so you're better just getting one through the education store.

6. ndriver182 macrumors 6502a

If you're a student, but don't have a credit card with high enough of a limit can you pay with a parent's credit card (then pay the parents back) or do you have to pay with a card that's in your name?

7. nightelf macrumors 6502

I am not sure about the online store, but they accepted my uncle’s credit cards when I bought my iMac (with Edu price) last year at the Apple Store.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Because going into debt before ever starting school is always good advice.

9. ndriver182 macrumors 6502a

It's only a question. I wasn't looking for advice, but thanks anyway.

10. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Since many of us end up going into debt to go to school...

When you're looking at $30,000 plus for four years of university, what's an extra $2,000 for a computer that will go the distance? :p

11. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

The difference is that the for school the interest rate might only be 5% but for that $2000 it's going to be about 20%. And that 2000 will kill your credit rating.

Just an FYI, I know some schools (NYU being one of them) have technology loans available. At NYU you get $3000 interest free (as long as you pay your bills on time) for the purchase of technology stuff.

12. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

If you go with ADC you're better off getting a MP or MBP...bigger discounts.

13. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

True enough. However, I wasn't suggesting that the buyer using credit wait to pay it off until finished all his/her courses. I would heartily recommend against that.
    The problem being that unless a fortuitous inheritance comes their way, that student with a debt of $30,000 or more (even at only 5%) will not be able to pay off the cost of tuition before, during, or immediately after school. An unfortunate situation that also is not good for the credit rating.

14. aethelbert macrumors 601

I don't think that he's looking to save more just by spending more.

15. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

The point was you don't see much of a discount on the iMac through the Developer store. In fact, you pay more than the standard education price when you factor in the $99 membership fee.