Best sub-$3000 1080p camcorder?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by WRP, Dec 19, 2011.

1. WRP macrumors 6502a

I don't really know this price-point of the market and could use some help.

I need it to shoot 1080p24.
    I need it to have XLR inputs.
    I don't want to shoot to tape.
    I would rather not have to transcode the footage to bring in to FCP.
    Would be dealing with chroma keying often so it can't fall apart there.
    I say sub $3000 because that is what I want to keep it under but obviously cheaper is better.
    Don't suggest DSLR.

Anyone here savvy with the product availability with these budget restrictions? B&H has 25 in the professional video tab that are under $3000.

THANKS!

2. cgbier macrumors 6502a

Canon XF100

----------

For direct import to FCP, I'd suggest the JVC 100/150. It shoots directly to .mov. You can drag your clips directly from the card into the timeline.

Would have been my second choice when I ordered the XF.

Both are pretty capable ENG cameras for their size and price with the Canon having a tiny bit better image quality.

3. WRP thread starter macrumors 6502a

The XF was what I was thinking but I needed people to put my mind at ease. I've never shot with cameras this inexpensive and frankly I don't know jack about them.

I tried to get EX3's in the budget but was shot down. :D

4. cgbier macrumors 6502a

5. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

why don't you want to transcode? What will you be filming? What is your final output? DVD? Broadcast?

As cgbier stated, the XF100 is your best best for keying seeing as it uses a 4:2:2 color sampling. I just don't know how the canon files play with FCP. I think you would still need to transcode. The JVC series is the only one that records to .mov.

I personally use a Sony NX5U. I wanted the ex1r but cost was an issue. I have no issues with quality for broadcast use. I don't key so I never tried.

6. Jbgloss, Dec 19, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2011

Jbgloss macrumors member

Jbgloss

I love my XF100!!!

I am a VERY amateur video person! You can see some of my keyed videos using Motion 5 at http://www.youtube.com/morningcoach

I have not posted much outside roll but the camera just rocks!!! Inside and OUTSIDE WOW!

I am using Motion 5 and FCP X - a person wrote an import program that is amazing. I backup the media using Cannon software - then this guys program which puts a .mov wrapper on the files. NO transcoding. It literally takes about 5-10 minutes! For pretty large files. Here is the workflow for me -

Backup card with cannon (5 mins 16GB card) Run this program that takes the files and puts a .mov wrapper around the files (5 mins) BINGO files are ready for use with X - I think for early versions of FCP the MXF files work directly???????? Not sure though.....

I will post the link if you want it tomorrow the program is on my Mac Pro downstairs typing from my Air upstairs LOL

Huge vote for the Cannon XF100 - it is the most amazing camera for such a small package. If you have any questions let me know. I just bought a Blackmagic instensity PCI card as I am going to use this camera for live web streaming too....

I am terrible with lighting etc, that is my issue not the cameras for sure but I am learning... Overall this camera just rocks......

JB

7. WRP thread starter macrumors 6502a

Corporate type interview, talking head type stuff. Camera will be locked off in well lit rooms. Very heavy on rotoscoping and motion graphics included.

Time. I got no problem using the Canon plugin to transfer and play nice with the video because it works like P2 I am familiar with. The new clip while transferring will directly pop into my logging bin which means I can start trimming and toplining clips while it works. I could do that if I transcoded with Compressor or Mpeg Streamclip but it would be less intuitive and clunky.

No broadcast. Will mostly be web delivery, DVD and projected at meetings and events.

8. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i think the canon fits your bill. I think the images will look great and keying with the 4:2:2 will help tremendously. I would just before you buy if possible check it out in a store see if you like the menus and how it feels in your hands etc.

I would also look into getting good mics and lighting as it will help your keying if you don't have access to these items already.

9. WRP thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'll try to check it out first. It will mostly be on sticks so how it feels will be of little importance. Good call on the menus though. I have used some equipment that made me want to hit myself in the face with a hammer (any Sony HDCAM deck).

All good points. Yeah the shotguns, the lavs, the Lowel's are already set in the budget. I wouldn't scrimp on those. Where I could lose some fat was the EX1 with 2 SxS cards and batteries. While I wanted it, I had to realize in our budget concerns and what we were delivering I really didn't NEED it. If I go with XF100 I will come within my budget restrictions with a fairly decent rig for what we are doing.

10. cgbier macrumors 6502a

FCP Classic or FCP X? Canon's transfer software still doesn't support FCP X. There's a small, donationware program from a dude in Denmark that does a terrific job, but I have the link in the office. You'd have to wait until tomorrow.

11. WRP thread starter macrumors 6502a

Final Cut Pro. Been using it for 10 years. Tried FCP X and couldn't hold my nose longer than 5 hours before I said "F* this crap I'll wait until it gets updated and stops being a Fisher-Price my-first-NLE". :D

12. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

The software they are talking about is XfcpX which is located on his website pika.dk. It changes the wrapper to .mov without transcoding. You have to use it with the Canon XF utility.

13. cgbier macrumors 6502a

Yep, that's what I meant. Thanks.

----------

WRP, if you plan on doing a lot of chroma keying, then you should embrace FCP X. It's chroma tools are lightyears ahead of FCP Classic ... or at least cough out the 50 bucks for Motion5.

14. WRP thread starter macrumors 6502a

I can do anything I need with After Effects, my plug in suite and FCS. I've been in this industry a long time and know how to pull a perfect key in After Effects with color correction and plugins. Why would I bother to key in FCP if all my background work, rotoscoping and animation is being done in After Effects? The workflow makes no sense.

And even if I was pulling a key in FCP I wouldn't be using their filters to do it.

15. smetvid macrumors 6502

Check out the Panasonic HMC-40. I have one and it is a 3 chip camera that resolves image detail almost equal to a SONY EX1 in good lighting. It offers shooting options and format selection you would typically only find on a $6,000 + camera. For example it has 1080p, 1080i and 720p in just about any standard frame rate you would want.

The only downside the camera really has is it's low light handling but if that is never an issue then this little camera will allow you to shoot video equal to cameras 2x to 3x the price.

16. cgbier macrumors 6502a

You didn't mention that.

17. WRP thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I didn't think my post production experience and workflow was germane to asking about the camera. Sorry.

18. cgbier macrumors 6502a

You mentioned FCP and b!tched about FCP X... that let's one assume your complete flow is based on FCP.
    You're right though. It's (mostly) independent from your camera choice.

19. ml.sail1 macrumors regular

Panasonic Pro AG-HMC150

Personally, I use the Panasonic Pro AG-HMC150 for countless wedding videos and it does great. You can import directly into FCP or even iMovie with the AVCHD format.

I should add it used up to a 64GB SDXC card which can record around 5-6 hrs in my experience.

I really like it overall.

20. drewyboy macrumors 65816

I know it's 1K more, but I wanted to throw in NX5U. It's a great camera to work with, but again 1K which could easily be a no go for you. Best of luck hunting.