Best sub $50 3RD PARTY 2008 MBP Battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Astroboy907, May 10, 2012.

1. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Just bought myself a used late 08 macbook pro. The battery included is the removable type, but has some 650 cycles on it. Time for it to be replaced. I am trying to do this as cheap as possible and need a good, third party battery as apple ones are slightly more... expensive.

Basically, I just need a good battery that will get me 3 or so hours of charge. Anybody have any luck out there with non OEM batteries?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I wouldn't trust or recommend any non-Apple battery, due to the number of problems reported with "knockoff" batteries. Also, there is no assurance that knockoff batteries have the same charging technology that Apple uses, involving the battery, the MagSafe adapter and the Mac's logic board.

Battery Replacement
    Replacing the built-in battery in your MacBook Pro
    Replacing the Battery in your MacBook Air
    Intel-based Apple Portables: How to replace or service a built-in battery

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

3. Astroboy907 thread starter macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

I found one on eBay with 89% health but a pretty high cycle count (200 something). It's oem. Any good, Or too close to failing?

4. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

Your gonna be better off spending a little extra and getting a brand new battery from apple. It will just be better in the end and you'll know its genuine and you'll get a great amount of battery health and life.

5. AppleMacFinder macrumors 6502a

AppleMacFinder

You can get a new genuine Apple battery from a high rated eBay seller for $64 (free shipping).
    Why not add $14 to get a much better battery?

6. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Because saving $14 is better than using the right parts in a $1k plus computer dammit!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

7. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Get a genuine new Apple battery. Cheap third-party knock-offs and used batteries are a false economy.

8. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

Don't listen to the naysayers. There is nothing intrinsically special about Apple batteries. Why spend the extra money on so-called fancy Apple electricity?

9. Astroboy907 thread starter macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Well, just go onto apples site and look at the battery- it has like a 3 star rating because it sucks so bad... swelling, low power, less charge... its hit or miss with them it seems :)

10. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

I would not recommend 3rd party batteries for any computer. Poor quality and terrible reliability are the main problems if you go that route. Cheap batteries often come with fewer cells and use lower quality components which results in shorter battery life, and fewer cycles before the battery is no longer able to hold a charge.

11. Astroboy907 thread starter macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Point me the way, kind sir!

12. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

It's special because Apple has designed proprietary on-board controllers for their batteries which are not licensed to anyone else. In addition, many third-party batteries for Apple computer end up having much lower build quality and are more likely to experience problems (since after all, none are licensed and therefore Apple is not checking their quality in any way).

The only third-party batteries I would trust for Apple are OnCore, because I've used them, but they don't make them for the unibodies with built-in batteries.

jW

13. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Or it's because people that bought them (who were the only ones that could review) were just irked because they had to replace a battery (the horror!!) that they down voted it.

14. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Same here. I need a new battery, too. If you could share which seller you're talking about, that'd be great.

15. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

This

and this.

The third party ThinkPad batteries we use at work are nowhere near as good as the OEM type. Shorter life and we're lucky if they last over 12 months.

16. AppleMacFinder macrumors 6502a

AppleMacFinder

Please, check your inbox messages.
    As it turned out, the genuine battery costs $59.99, or $59.52 ;)

----------

Please, check your inbox messages.
    Advertising in any form is not welcome on forums, so I cannot post it right here.

17. dbernie41 macrumors regular

Please point me as well! Thanks so much!

18. Jeepman88 macrumors member

Go ahead and add me to the list as well please! thanks

19. darksnake macrumors newbie

me 2 please.. :D

20. Astroboy907 thread starter macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

*cough*....
    my message said...
    The seller is eshopsino

not hinting at something though...and certainly not trying to advertise ;)

21. dbernie41 macrumors regular

So how legit does everyone think this seller is?

22. Astroboy907 thread starter macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

I'm a bit wary, especially to order overseas. I found a US seller with an ad that looked almost exactly the same. I messaged him (asked if the batteries were genuine apple, and here is the reply):

dear friend ,
    thanks for your message , the battery is from apply , we have show on eBay,if you need it ,you can pay in our Paypal account xxxxx@xxxxx.com directly , then we will send the item to you when receive your clear payment !
    thanks and regards
    kingkun02

- kingkun02

Took out the email but the seller name is still there.