Best Subfield of Computer Programming

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by Boscante, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Boscante macrumors newbie

Forgive me if I'm posting this is in the wrong section.

I'm wondering what the best discipline of computer programming was. For me, the best means that this category of software is in high demand and people are looking to hire people to write and maintain these types of software. For example: CAD, database, games, etc.

2. Lagmonster macrumors 6502

Mainframe and other legacy systems. Cobol, rpg, fortran, etc. And getting more so as time goes on.

3. Boscante thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your post. :)

Interesting. I thought FORTRAN was losing popularity. In any case, would you happen to know of any specific types of software facing rapid expansion?

4. ehoui macrumors regular

Pick something that interests you and do it well.

5. Lagmonster macrumors 6502

Oh it is. But the only people who can support these systems are retiring.

6. avflinsch macrumors member

Better yet, learn the legacy languages and become a SME (subject matter expert) in a particular business process. The business knowledge is way more important than the technology.

7. MasConejos macrumors regular

MasConejos

There are a huge number of jobs for "business" programming. Typically working for companies doing internal or customer facing software in .Net and/or java, almost always involving a database and most of the time a web front end (asp.net, jsp, etc).

It's not exciting or particularly cutting edge, but there are tons of positions all over the world for it.