Best substitute for Outlook (Windows) Calendar?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by danny_w, Jan 24, 2008.

1. danny_w macrumors 601

I have recently started using an iMac (running Leopard) at the office where I have always previously used Windows. The only important substitute that I have not yet found is something to replace the Outlook Calendar (Mail.app seems to work well for the email portion). I have iWork '08 and really do not want to install Office (although I do have a copy of Mac Office 2004 if needed). I use Mac Office at home and Entourage seems to work well for me, and the calendar and contacts both sync well with iCal/Address Book if needed. If nothing else, can you install Entourage by itself w/o the rest of Office? You can customize the Windows Office to install only what you want, but the Mac Office install seems to be all or nothing.

On another note, the one other utility that I am looking for is a program that emulates a Tandem (6530?) terminal (including special function keys) via telnet. I used OutsideView on Windows for this purpose. The only open source emulator that I found to do this only supports ssh and not telnet. Does anybody know of anything that I might try?

2. GregE macrumors 6502

Have you tried this one? I found it when I was looking for 5250 emulation.

http://www.brown.edu/Facilities/CIS/tn3270/

3. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

Sorry, I don't know where I got "3270" from (the recesses of my brain I guess). Anyway, I'm looking for an emulator for Tandem hosts, not IBM.

4. Jim Hampton macrumors newbie

Platform independent OutsideView

This is Jim Hampton, Sales Engineer at Crystal Point. We write/sell OutsideView.

We also sell OutsideView WEB; a platform-independent, web based emulator package that contains 6530 emulation plus (optionally) 3270, 5250 and VT emulations).

If you want more info, either email jimh@crystalpoint.com, or just give me a call at 425 806 1141

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

Out of curiosity, what functionality is missing from iCal that prevents you from using it as your main calendar? :confused:

I've found myself using iCal more and more since Mail.app got data detectors (so I can just hover over a date and immediately create a calendar event from Mail.app).

6. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

7. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

Everything at work revolves around Outlook, and all of our meetings are in Outlook Calendar. If there were a way for Mail.app or iCal to automatically read my Outlook calendar (from Exchange or OWA) and keep itself synced, that would be great. That is exactly what happens at home where I use Entourage (using OWA). Entourage detects and syncs to my Outlook calendar (and contacts!) at work, and then syncs that info with iCal.

8. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Yeah, I'm in the same situation. There are options that will allow you to sync both apps with Google calendar, but that means buying TWO shareware applications. Plaxo are currently beta testing an iCal sync feature (Plaxo syncs contacts / calendars etc cross-platform), but that won't work with shared/public calendars as I understand it.

The most promising option is GroupCal. I've used earlier versions and it works well, syncing directly via OWA. The only snag is that there isn't yet a version for Leopard, although they're working on it (Q1 this year is the estimate, so hopefully not long now).

Personally, I'm running Outlook under Parallels at present, until I can come up with a better solution.

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

FWIW, from what I just googled, it looks like Office 2008 will allow you to do a custom install (to install just one application, if you want).

I wasn't able to find any screenshots, but Paul Thurrott mentioned that "it's easy to miss the custom install button", which makes it sound like it's there somewhere. (If that helps any!)

10. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

Thanks, I finally found the custom install button in Office 2004 and have installed Entourage. It found my Exchange server right off the bat and I am now installing the updates. I think this will probably do what I need.