Best Subtitling App?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Makosuke, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Makosuke macrumors 603

Like the title says, I'm looking for an app with which to add subtitles to a video. This is for a fansub initially, so I'm hoping for something that can produce standard srt or ssa (or similar) files for a piece of video in an arbitrary codec/container. I care way more about ease of timing and editing than fancy extra features, since this is a quick-and-dirty project, though I'll take what I can get.

I've used Miyu in the past, and while it'll get the job done it's no longer updated and feels ragged around the edges, particularly when it comes to broad support for video files. I was kind of hoping for a more polished alternative.

Subs Factory has a simple enough interface and seemed to open high-def MKV fine, but I just couldn't get it to work properly--the keyboard playback controls are awkward and it kept doing downright weird things when trying to add a new subtitle. The multi-floating-window layout is also a little weird.

Ageisub has features out the wazoo, but it also has features out the wazoo--it does way more than I need. Also, it seemed to have major problems playing the audio in the MKV I fed it--it seemed to be trying to force the audio to play at the wrong rate or something and garbling it in the process. Since I'm doing the translation as I work, this makes it rather hard to hear, even if I could get the timing right.

They do say the OSX version is "alpha quality", so maybe it'll get better with time.

Are there other options I'm overlooking here, or is that the extent of my options?

2. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

AFAIK the most popular titling and subtitling application, is also one of the most complex, and the most un-free, and thats LiveType 2 (Included in Final Cut Express and Final Cut Studio) which can do just about any sort of titling under the sun after it gets the footage from Final Cut. It is however the most complex titling application i've ever seen (User Guide of 400 Pages, just to add titles - worth it though - also has more features than anybody can shake a stick at). Im assuming youve looked at this already, but I cant think of anything else to suggest.

3. Makosuke thread starter macrumors 603

The note is appreciated for future reference. Currently, since this is just a hobby project, that's way, way out of my budget range. Probably also far too complex to be worth the learning curve as well--at this point I really just want a smooth interface for basic timing features--though if I ever start doing stuff like this pro I'll know where to look.