Best suggestion for transferring library (not files)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iParis, Sep 13, 2013.

1. iParis, Sep 13, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2013

iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

So as we all know, iTunes is merely a link to files stored on your computer and there's a few files it uses to categorize the library and remember everything you have in it. Well when some users transfer their library they use an external hard drive, do it over the network, iCloud, or etc. Anyway, the way I've done it quite a few times is literally copying everything in Mac HD > Users > User > Music > iTunes into a folder and put it into the folder on my new computer / OS install. Err, maybe it's just one of the files, I haven't done it in a long time. Back to the point. Before you start thinking it, no, my iTunes media files aren't located in that folder, I have it set to consolidate them to my external hard drive. In the past when I've copied all the files in the that folder to my new OS install it basically allows iTunes to read it as if I had just opened it from my previous install / computer, i.e. I have all my music and everything there already without touching my file - err, as long as I have my external hard drive plugged into my new OS / new computer. I find this the best solution for transferring computers or having to restore your system as it avoids putting duplicates into iTunes and just seems to make things more simple.

Hm. Maybe I just answered my own question. I finally got a new cord for my external hard drive and am about to set up my library on a MacBook I just got from my Mac Mini and was going to do it that way, but it just felt weird for some reason. So I was just wondering if you guys had any other suggestions or what you thought of what I've been doing as well.

Thank you!

2. iParis thread starter macrumors 68040

iParis

Welp, in case anyone is wondering for future reference, my way works really well. Hell, it even remembered the size I had iTunes adjusted to when it was last opened on my Mac Mini. :D