best supplemental dvd burner for imac?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by BraveSirRobin37, May 15, 2008.

1. BraveSirRobin37 macrumors newbie

hey, does any one have any recommendations of a really good external dvd dual layer burner for my iMac...i just dont want to put a lot of wear and tear on my new computer's superdrive, thanx

2. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Your burner will very likely out-live the computer's usefulness by a very wide margin. I've had lots of different pieces of hardware go kaput on lots of the different computers I've had over the decades, and I've never once seen a burner 'wear out.' I've never had a problem with any of the many optical drives that I've used over the decades, and I definitely don't baby my computers.

Use the internal drive with no fear.

3. redsquash macrumors member

Soory but my experienc is the opposite.
    Also for a disbelieving story find out how much a superdrive costs to replace !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just ring apple and find out
    My superdrive wore out after 2 years and about 300 DVDs were produced at 25 mins per dvd ie 3 a week
    It never wrote more than at 2 x speed though I tried may brands of discs and adjusted the settings many times.
    Matshita uj846.............don't replace it with the same.

So now I need a bootable dvd drive for OSX . I also want to make dvd s from vista. I require an external power supply
    Any external drives to stay away from or gravitate to

4. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

That sounds like you had a bum drive from the beginning and you should've had it replaced when you initially got the computer.

5. redsquash macrumors member

If you do a google search you will find that this speed seems to be standard on a mac notebook.There are many unhappy people
    In fact no one has claimed 8x speed on a notebook from my searches, except Apple.
    Like a dumb arse I ordered a replacement of the same type , prior to doing a google search.
    If the new drive does write 8x , I will be the first to post. Stay tuned in th enext week or so.
    Meanwhile an external burner for Mac and vista is recomeneded. reliability is the key here

6. redsquash macrumors member

If you do a google search you will find that this speed seems to be standard on a mac notebook.There are many unhappy people
    In fact no one has claimed 8x speed on a notebook from my searches, except Apple.I figured this was a notebook restriction
    Like a dumb arse I ordered a replacement of the same type , prior to doing a google search.
    If the new drive does write 8x , I will be the first to post. Stay tuned in the next week or so.
    Meanwhile an external burner for Mac and vista is recomeneded. reliability is the key here

7. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

This might be true but an external DVD drive will be better and quicker.