Best Sync Service 2015

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by zachlegomaniac, Mar 29, 2015.

1. zachlegomaniac macrumors 6502a

zachlegomaniac

Hi Everyone,

Right now I back up my computer with an external hard drive. I also use DropBox. My family has a Mac Mini (1TB Fusion), MacBook Pro (128 SSD), and some iDevices.

I really just want a service that will automatically sync and store every file we have in the cloud without having to necessarily keep it on a local drive (perhaps barring the Mac Mini). That way if I delete a picture from my iPhone, or MacBook I don't have to worry about losing it.

Ideally, I'd like to use the Mac Mini as our default home computer to store all of our files locally (along with the external drive).

I have a friend that told me to use Carbonite, but I have heard good things about Sugar Sync.

Clearly I have no idea what I'm doing so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Z.

2. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

You might wanna try hubiC.

Just last week, hubiC announced new pricing and now offer 10TB for €5 per month/ €50 per year. Though they also offer 25GB for free and 100GB for €1 per month/ €10 per year.

They're a French company operated by the well-respected hosting company OVH. hubiC includes syncing (like Dropbox) and a dedicated backup/archive service - all in one app and your data is replicated across three data centres in France.

I'm currently testing them out and have signed up for the 10TB yearly option. The main reason I decided to give them a try is because hubiC is supported natively on my Synology NAS so can use them as an offsite backup.

You might as well give them a try and see how they work for you - the 25GB option is free anyway.

3. zachlegomaniac thread starter macrumors 6502a

zachlegomaniac

Thanks for the info. So it will automatically sync and backup all of my data across a couple computers and a few phones, and then store it even if it is deleted from a local drive?

4. zachlegomaniac thread starter macrumors 6502a

zachlegomaniac

Okay, I realize I'm just probably talking to myself here, but in case anyone is out there and willing to give me some insight:

I figured the cleanest way for me to go about this would be to purchase the amount of iCloud space that I would need since I have primarily Apple products.

Then I would want to store everything locally on the 1 TB Mac Mini, and occasionally remove unneeded files from my MBP (especially my photos as I really don't need them on my MBP). I assume that once everything is locally stored on the Mini I'd be fine deleting it from the MBP.

Anyone? :confused:

- Major Tom