Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aleks015

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012
Just wondering...

I was talking to friend of mine about theoretical path to best deal. What do you think, is this doable?

1. My contract is ending in about 1 month; will wait until it expires;
2. Then will go to Best Buy store and extend my contract for additional 2 years and purchase two iPhone 5S models (16GB) for $99.99 each - total of $200.
3. Use service for one month and 25 days with Verizon (which will cause me to "loose" $50/mo since Tmobile plan difference would run $50 less than what I pay Verizon now)
4. Go to T-mobile store and port over both lines, trade in both iPhone 5s phones for $285 each for T-Mobile credit (total of $570 for two 5ss);
5. T-mobile covers ETF fees of $350 each line

6. End result: I keep current two iphone 5 phones we have used for last two years, which I can sell for $700-750 total for both...

7. Final deal: end up with $570 in credit for T-mobile phone...

-100 (two months worth difference of service with Verizon instead of Tmobile)
-200 - two iphone 5s'
- (then +) - positive zero... 680 - two ETF fees from Verizon - but Tmobile will cover this since we would trade both just bought iPhone 5s'
+$570 in Tmobile credit towards another phone

So final "savings" are being in plus $270, and pay whatever taxes I need to pay :)
Just reminder: I keep my two iphone fives and sell them for $700-750 profit!!!

So, bottom line is - I don't care if I have to purchase two phones with T-mobile, I can get for example LG G2 for 16$/mo which is fine, and other credit I have use for brand new iphone on Tmobile network...

End of the story :) and summary is: I pocket $700-750, then get additionally $570 for Tmobile credit towards the new phone, and plus I buy LG G2 for $16/mo (roughly $400)... or I can pay it off whenever I whish :)

Is this possible?

Note: Should I say that last two years I lost over $1400 JUST FOR BEING WITH VERIZON AND NOT TMOBILE!?!?!?!??!!?

Last edited:

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I have a question and it may have be a stupid one. I have a Verizon iPhone 5 on a two year contract. I would like to purchase an AT&T sim. If I do the purchase, who would I pay my bill to Verizon or AT&T?

Do you mean to say you want to switch from Verizon to AT&T?

If so, then you'd be paying an ETF to Verizon (they'll send you a final bill), and you'd be paying a monthly bill to AT&T going forward.

Obviously, you'll need to make sure Verizon knows you intend to cancel. You do this either by calling and Verizon and canceling service (if you don't want to keep your phone number) or by having AT&T port your number over (if you'd like to keep it), which will automatically cancel the Verizon service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.