Best Tablet of 2012

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mr. Incredible, Mar 19, 2012.

?

What will be the Best Tablet of 2012?

1. The iPad

175 vote(s)
    87.1%
  2. The Asus Transformer Prime TF700t

7 vote(s)
    3.5%
  3. The Samsung Galaxy 11.6

14 vote(s)
    7.0%
  4. Other

5 vote(s)
    2.5%
  1. Mr. Incredible, Mar 19, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2012

Mr. Incredible macrumors 6502a

Just curious on what you guys think will be the best tablet of this year?

I'll try to list the ones that I think will be contenders this year.

EDIT: I probably should've said more than just 2 sentences. So, below I'm gonna have some specs of the 3 tablets above.

Screen Size & Resolution
    iPad: 9.7 inches. 2048 x 1536. 264 ppi
    Asus: 10.1 inches. 1920 x 1200. 224 ppi
    Galaxy: 11.6 inches. 2560 x 1600. 260 ppi

Cameras
    iPad: 5.0 mp Back. 0.3 mp Front.
    Asus: 8.0 mp Back. 2.0 mp Front.
    Galaxy: 8.0 mp Back. 2.0 mp Front.

Processor
    iPad: 1.0 GHz Dual-Core.
    Asus: 1.6 GHz Quad-Core.
    Galaxy: 2.0 GHz Quad-Core.

Battery Life
    iPad: 10 Hours.
    Asus: 10 Hours. +6 Hours with Keyboard Dock
    Galaxy: N/A

Weight and Dimensions
    iPad: 652g. 241.2 x 185.7 x 9.4
    Asus: 586g. 263.0 x 180.8 x 8.5
    Galaxy: N/A

Hopefully all this is accurate, I think it is. I would've wrote more, but there isn't really much information on the Galaxy 11.6 for me to write.

Also, who the hell would give this negative reps? It's just a question, grow the hell up.

2. fosking macrumors member

It's not like anyone here would have a bias towards the iPad or anything ;)

3. LanEvo macrumors 6502

Too early to tell, but i will say iPad for now.

4. CH34P3T macrumors regular

5. stigzy macrumors member

Amen!

6. Mr. Incredible thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just posted some specifications between the devices, and yes, there is plenty of competition.

The Galaxy 11.6 tab sounds amazing, with the screen size, the resolution, and camera's are very impressive.

When it comes to battery life, I don't think either 2 can compete against the Asus.

You will be getting 12 hours of battery life, and the Keyboard Dock will extend the battery life to 18 hours. Very cool.

Also, the Asus is thinner than the iPad (if that matters to anyone). Not sure how the Galaxy tab will be, since there aren't any specifications on the dimensions yet.

7. cpucrash0 macrumors regular

you should have just left out all the other tablets out of this Poll and just had iPad. :)

8. falconman515 macrumors 6502a

falconman515

Your asking this MacRumors.com

Ummmm .... ya .... I'm pretty sure the winner will be the iPad and the other votes are the trolls who like to bash it.

9. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

It's kind of early to say. However if you are sold on the whole Apple connected and synchronised ecosystem of phone, tablet, set top box and computer all working together then it wouldn't matter if a rival tablet had 8 cores and the best graphics ever, it still wouldn't cut it without iOS.

10. MacFanBoi macrumors regular

I think its been proven time and again that specs alone don't sell products. How many times have other manufacturers released a product with far superior specs and have fallen way short of competing against the iPad. Your not just buying the hardware you getting a whole ecosystem from apple.

11. EarlZ macrumors regular

The 11.6 is anon existent device yet, as compared to the ipad or tf201 where you can purchase it now. currently my vote goes to the new ipad even if i dont have it yet.

12. galanoth macrumors member

On your camera section, you labeled the back cameras as front and vice versa.

13. Mr. Incredible thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, I currently got an iMac, and iPhone, and to be honest; I'm just a little bored with it.

I like iOS, but I think that Mountain Lion is a let down and not worth the upgrading. The iPhone doesn't seem that impressive compared to others. I don't want to turn this into a phone debate, but there other great phones being released this year.

Besides, I'm sure that both ecosystems can coexist. OSX computer, Android Phone and Tablet; it'll work out, why wouldn't it?

----------

Lol, thanks for the heads up. :)

14. soldierblue macrumors 6502

Granted, Android 4.0 is at this point far more interesting than iOS (it needs widgets so bad it's not even funny), the issue is still down to hardware. The build quality on alot of these Android tabs just isn't there.

15. falcora macrumors 6502

Those tablets will never match the build quality of Apple products, or the simple and intuitive interface of iOS.

Also, I seriously doubt that those other tablets can achieve the specs posted by the op without draining your battery in less than 3 hours.

16. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

You're expecting objective opinion in the iPad sub-forum?
    Jokes aside, it all depends on your definition of 'best'.

17. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

This is very true. What's the point of having a bunch of high-end specs if you can't keep the device charged long enough to take full advantage of them. To me battery life is most important, and no one is seeing Apple in that department.

18. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I will give Apple the edge IF you like the iOS. I wish Apple would loosen up the restrictions. I really need a file system to keep and manage files on my device. I use drop box but sometimes it is to practical.

I reserve judgement for the new Windows 8 devices coming later this year. If they offer a real MS Office suite less control like windows is now, I have to say they will get a serious look.

19. Jarson macrumors regular

Jarson

Well, between tablet and a tablet there is a huge difference even if there are similiar specs.

If I was a guy that pays attention to this whole hardware stuff, I would go with Asus. But more important now than a processor speed is how it actally works, what sort of software it runs and what it can do despite the whole stuff built in. And this is why I am with Apple. iPad is giving me everything I expect from a tablet should have. It's rapidly fast, very responsive, intuitive, straightforward to use, has a huge volume of apps which make a tablet even more universal and allows you to carry more tasks on it.
    Every other tablet we see n the market can't do all of these things. If they do, it is either really difficult, not really comfortable or time consuming.

So before we start comparing tablets we'll see on the market, first thing we should consider are conditions. Do we compare products only by looking on the specs? I think iPad is a single leader on tablet markets in 2012. We'll see what will be later.

20. WARSTIN macrumors member

The galaxy will be a great tablet im sure, but personal preference iPad everytime.

21. matttye macrumors 601

This is like going into mcdonalds and asking where you can get a big whopper.

Ill answer anyway..the iPad will be. The iPad makes it so easy to consume content. I read books, watch movies, play games, browse the web..it's made lots of extra space in my house because I'm buying less physical media/books/etc.

I have an iPad 2, have no need for the 3, but anything that improves on the already fantastic 2 gets my vote :)

22. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

It all depends on your definition of "best" - it seems to me that the Android manufacturers are simply going down the road of spec boasting without any specific reason to do so.

Consider this - if my iPad does everything I want it to with a dual core 1GHz processor, why should I care if another tablet has a quad core 2GHz one? Does having twice as many cores at twice the speed make the experience 4 times better?

Personally, I don't care one iota about other tablets even if they have octuple core 3GHz processors in them - if they haven't got iOS on them they're not worthy of consideration from me.
    I had a Transformer and for a while thought it was a great machine, but then I found myself using it less and less until eventually it was just taking up desk space so I sold it on eBay - it doesn't matter what flavour dessert Google comes up with, it still lacks the consistency of iOS ;)

23. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

Missing statistics on some other features.... i.e. Battery Life, Weight, App Environment, etc.

With EVERYTHING taken into account, the iPad blows away every other tablet.

24. esanker macrumors newbie

Seriously, this is nonsense. Asking for the best tablet in an Apple forum. What are you thinking? (scratches head)

25. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

"Best" depends on your desired use for a tablet.

There are all sorts of reasons to get an iPad, or an Asus, or a 7" instead of a 10", and so forth.

----

That said, some of us are looking forward to the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (nice demo here on YouTube).

It has the Wacom pen technology and some cool pen apps to go with it.

It also allows running two apps side by side in some cases(*).

-

Imagine surfing the web in one half, while jotting down notes in the other. A student's dream.

Think "Microsoft Courier" with only one screen.

(*) I don't know for sure, but it might only be a choice of an app + the browser or media player... not just two arbitrary apps.