Best Text Editor for OSX?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iFanboy, Aug 30, 2009.

1. iFanboy Guest

I have been using TextEdit up until now, but have recently realised a few of it's limitations. Eg, I had a file from an app I use that needed to be edited and a small bit of code C+P'd into it. TextEdit opened the file but showed it as a blank file?

I downloaded and installed TextWrangler, and it worked perfectly. However, I don't really like TextWrangler all that much, and was wondering whether you had any alternatives that you use that are better than TextEdit?

2. cmaier macrumors G3

vim

3. disdat macrumors regular

disdat

What don't you like about Text Wrangler?

It's what I use for quick text edits. I find it loads super fast, and opens pretty much anything I throw at it.

4. cmaier macrumors G3

yuck.

though I miss pine.

5. kindtampa macrumors newbie

kindtampa

6. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

vim vs emacs thread in 3....2....1....

Or are we not nerdy enough here?

7. ir0n macrumors newbie

8. cmaier macrumors G3

+1

9. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

If you're just talking quick edits, TextEdit is my favorite. Free and built in.

If you're talking something bigger like an essay or similar document, Pages works great. Plus you get Keynote (and Numbers) with that. Keynote is light years ahead of PowerPoint.

10. Bahn Burner macrumors newbie

11. iFanboy thread starter Guest

12. GroovyLinuxGuy macrumors regular

GroovyLinuxGuy

13. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

For something free, nano is a nice, quick editor that isn't as unintuitive (at first) as emacs or vim.

Wouldn't recommend BBEdit since you don't like TextWrangler already.

Textmate works well also- I find it loads much faster than BBEdit depending on the document size.
    Pages is not a text editor.

14. cmaier macrumors G3

I use gvim (aka "vim -g"), which is the standard distribution, but macvim is good too.

vi and emacs (and their various incarnations) are probably the most powerful text editors out there. vi (and vim, etc.) are "modal" in that you switch between command mode and editing mode, and designed to allow you to do very powerful things without ever using a mouse. Emacs is probably easier to learn, but, when using the keyboard, has more confusing key combinations to do things. In modern versions, which support the GUI, mouse, scripting, etc., both are probably pretty comparable for a newcomer.

For programmers, both support code folding, integration with compilers, etc.

vi changed my coding life :) And a large chunk of AMD's K8 (opteron/athlon 64) was designed using vi :)

15. kasakka macrumors 68000

Textmate for me. It's great for coding.

I only use Vim when working in the terminal. I just can't remember all the keyboard shortcuts for it.

16. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Funny the OP should mention TextEdit. Snow Leopard has totally revamped TextEdit with more options and functionality. This is just one of the things I like about SL, people think Apple didn't do anything to it but under the hood stuff but it's always the little things that are purposely overlooked since people seem to care only about what they see immediately upon boot.

So if the OP decides to upgrade to SL soon he might want to drop by an Apple store or Best Buy and check out TextEdit on SL and see if the upgrade offers some features that will satisfy him.

17. iFanboy thread starter Guest

18. cmaier macrumors G3

+1. Heck, the "shrink windows to icons in dock" thing alone makes it worth it to me. (That, plus Office 2008 finally works with Spaces! yay!)

19. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

Same here. It works and feels great and has soooo much functionality.

20. Daz macrumors newbie

Another vote for Textmate.

(Although Vim is up there too, but has a steep learning curve to use it properly)

21. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

yeah text edit ftw x100. much much better in SL

22. Switz213 macrumors 6502

Espresso for web coding. Vim is always great for terminal based.

23. cubedweller macrumors 6502