Best Text Message/IM app

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by cujoca, Nov 26, 2007.

1. cujoca macrumors regular

Hey everyone,

So far I'm loving my new 16 GB Jailbroken touch but I was just wondering what was the best Text Message/IM (or either or) app out there. Also how do I go about finding different games and apps to download to my touch, eg. Lights Out?

Thanks in advance!

2. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

I hear Meebo is good, but it's Web-based, so it might not be what you're looking for.

3. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

Apollo IM is okay, but i have some complaints..

cons;

laggy scrolling
    no way to edit your profile
    no way to set an away message other than "away"
    can't go into landscape mode..

pros;

everything else works fine

4. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

I disagree. I have found that apollo IM is very laggy and tends to crash aloe if you use it heavily. One long conversation or two short ones tends to crash the app and at times the iPod itself. Mobile Chat is also a good alternative but it too is buggy. Less buggy then Apollo IM but still can crash ifbyiu are not carefull or if you have many different conversations open. That being said I use Mobile Chat because it works for quick little instant messages.

The meebo.com option is nice but hard to navigate on an iPod and can hang up if you close safari. Maybe with a few more months these apps will get better.

5. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

i've noticed a lot of people are having problems with apps that work fine for me, and yet visa versa...My apollo works perfect for me besides the scrolling, which really makes me angry enough to were i don't use it..other than the cons i said its fine lol

6. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

Yea I generally stick with Meebo for short little chats. FlickIM was a pretty good one, haven't used them in a while, the way you selected buddies through a drop down menu helped with getting around.

7. cdavi060 macrumors regular

does anyone know if Apollo uses text messages (like uses up my 1500) or does i work thru the AIM server and never touch my text quota?

8. legacyb4 macrumors 6502

Would kill for a Yahoo-compatible client (non web-based)... still not overly thrilled with the thought of logging into a 3rd party web portal to get access to my chat provider.

9. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

apollo IM is a instant message program it does not send txts, the only way to send txts from an ipod is via a website in safari the ipod is not capable itself of sending txts

10. cdavi060 macrumors regular

sorry forgot to mention i had a iphone, but thanks for letting me know

11. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

Actually you CAN send texts through ApolloIM but you have to have added peoples phone numbers to your buddy list before hand. In iChat on your mac add a buddy and type in (for the US) +1 then the phone number and add it to your buddy list. You can then IM phones and it will send them a text at no charge to you. Problem is you wont be able to see peoples names like you can on an iPhone, just their 10 digit phone number so its not amazingly efficient, but it gets the job done.

12. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

13. bballs91 macrumors newbie

My favorite chat app is MobileChat. It is available in installer.app with the community sources installed. Give it a try, its a lot less buggy the Apollo.