Best thin 8 Plus Case

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by GomerBoy, Feb 17, 2018.

1. GomerBoy macrumors 6502

I currently have the Otter Box Commuter on my 8 Plus, but find it uncomfortable to hold for long periods of time because it does add bulk to the already large phone. What’s the best thin case for the 8 Plus that still has a good deal of protection?

I’m looking for something with a decent camera cut out (so the camera is not protruding) and where the case is “raised” a bit on the screen just like the Commuter.

Thank you!

2. jermy4 macrumors demi-god

Check out the caudabe sheath it's pretty slim, fits the phone snug and offers decent protection including the camera and screen. It's my favorite case but lifts my screen protector so I'm using their synthesis case now along with my Apple leather case since they work better with my full screen protector.

3. GomerBoy thread starter macrumors 6502

What about the best silicone case that is really thin, but still protective? I always liked the rubbery feel.

4. saltd macrumors 6502a

saltd

5. dwfaust macrumors 601

dwfaust

The silicone cases offer a small amount of protection from scrapes and scratches and zero protection on drops and more serious accidents... unless you can build up enough lint to form some sort of protective lint force field.

6. now i see it macrumors 68040

7. saltd macrumors 6502a

saltd

Very true. The thin cases feel great, but if you are accident prone, have toddlers, or work outside, get something chunkier.

If it’s hard to use one-handed, consider using a Pop Socket. I used to think they were the dumbest thing ever-until I tried one. Seriously, it makes a larger phone soooo much easier to handle. The Loopy cases are pretty much the same idea, and people really like them as well.

8. GomerBoy thread starter macrumors 6502

I always thought the loopy case and pop sockets seem silly and dumb...idk. Maybe I’ll just stay with the OtterBox Commuter. It just makes the 8 plus a bit large sometimes. Any other thin case options I should look into?

9. saltd macrumors 6502a

saltd

Yeah, the Pop Sockets do look goofy. I tried to minimize that by keeping the socket and case all black. Still though, it’s not for everyone.

The biggest problem with cases like the Commuter is the lack of a grippy surface on the case. The Speck Presidio Grip tackles this problem with some success, and is relatively thin. Might check that out.

Here’s one that I’ve seen positive reviews for and is quite thin. A bit pricey though...
    Minimalist iPhone 8 Plus/iPhone 7 Plus Case,PITAKA Magcase Aramid Fiber[Real Body Armor Material]Phone Case,Ultra Thin(0.03in)Super Light(0.49oz)Snap-on Case for iPhone 8 Plus/7Plus-Black/Grey(Twill) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LQGUL2I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_hPIIAbWS703ZW

10. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

I had a loopy case and it was great to hold, but the fact that you cannot place it down face up was a deal killer.

As for a very thin case, I bought a Mason M5 case for my 8+. It was about three times more expensive than any case I’ve every purchased before, but it’s hands down the best case I’ve ever owned (keeping in mind that my goal for a case is to improve the grip and protect from scratches, not to provide any significant protection from drop damage).

https://masoncases.com/products/super-thin-iphone-8-plus-case-m5-aramid

11. GomerBoy thread starter macrumors 6502

Both those cases look nice! Are they both slimmer than the OtterBox Commuter?

12. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

I hate to cover up my phone but with all glass design, I wasn’t too comfortable, so got a Rhinoshield bumper case for my 8 plus. Provides solid protection and also adds to the grip without being bulky.

13. GomerBoy thread starter macrumors 6502

I like it...the color choices are really cool as well! It leaves the whole glass back unprotected though?

14. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

Unless the back hits something directly, the chances of any impact is pretty less as the lip around the case is pretty thick.

Watch this -

15. GomerBoy thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow interesting...couple more questions. The camera is always protected because it sits "inside" the lip correct? It would drive me nuts just thinking about laying the phone down on a hard surface with the way the camera sticks out. Also, how much thickness does it add?

16. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

Yeah it is.

17. jeyf macrumors 65816

iPhone case is one stop shopping for me:
    incipio brand case, the stashback

maybe is not whre you want to go but you can put a visa &or drivers license in it and avoid a wallet.

18. GomerBoy thread starter macrumors 6502

Nifty for some people...but I was never very fond of have my credit cards and phone all together like that haha!