Best thin iPhone 5 cases and do I need a screen protector?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman macrumors 6502

Dick Whitman

So yeah I'm still trying to justify accessorizing my iPhone 5 what with all the rumors of a new phone releasing in just a few months and being that I consider my current iPhone 5 somewhat inferior with it's slightly yellow tinted screen.

But that's a whole other topic for discussion. For now, I want to know what's the best thin case out there. I'm also looking for a thin case that is ideally transparent so that you can see and show-off the Apple icon on the back of the phone.

I don't understand the Otterbox type cases as the iPhone 5 was designed to be extraordinarily thin. Plus I handle my iPhone 5 with extreme care and have never experienced anything close to dropping it.

And finally, do you guys use screen protectors? Are they worth it? The gorilla glass seems pretty tough and I never have my iPhone in a pocket with keys or something. I had a screen protector for my 4 but then just bothered with getting one for my 5. I think I would want a screen protector though if it would help guard against smudges and dust from collecting on my screen.

2. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

If you screen is yellow, you should definitely take it to the Genius Bar for a replacement.

If you're careful with your phone and want a thin and clear case, I would recommend a clear plastic snap-on one, but of course, those scratch super easily being that it is plastic. Those can be found everywhere on eBay. Although, if I were looking for a clear plastic case, I would look into the Belkin View just because it has TPU sides to protect the phone all around.

As for the screen protector, I would get one if I were you. Despite being gorilla glass, micro-scratches always seem to find a way to people's phones. I personally use an SGP ultra crystal screen protector, and I believe it's the best in it's class, perfect cutouts!

3. Ta0jin macrumors 6502a

It's like insurance, it doesnt seem worth it if nothing goes wrong but the second something does you'll wish you had it.

4. Radiating macrumors 65816

The next iPhone will have 100% identical dimensions to the current one. We've already seen the prototype shell, it's the same with slightly different mounting points inside. Apple does this on purpose so your accessories work for 2 years.

You don't need a case for your phone, a bumper works just fine. If you do want a clear thin case, try the Spigen ultra thin air, or the caze zero 5. Both are extremely good and good for drops up to 10 feet.

If you handle your phone with some reasonable care and drop it from 10 feet or less then get a bumper. The aluminium back is super strong and I have never scratched it despite my screen protector having tons of scratches. Anodized aluminium coats the phone with crystals that are similar to little diamonds, which are very very hard to scratch. It's the corners of the phone that need protection not the back.

I recommend the power support flat bumper or the caze thin edge (get the clear or silver for white, and the black for slate, orange is good too).

I've tried just under 100 different cases for the iPhone 5 and most of them are abysmal garbage. So I would avoid any ones other than that, despite how many good reviews they get, most people either A. give cheap cases too much credit, or B. forgive blatant flaws. I don't do either.

Yes absolutely, screen protectors are a must, you'll see tons of tiny scratches after a little while without one (the rear glass is made of ceramic glass, or pigmented hardened extra tough glass if you're wondering so it's stronger than the front)

I've tried about 40 types of screen protectors, I'd get the Spigen or Green Onions Industries ones exclusively the others are junk.

5. wellok macrumors 6502

Eh, I have an iPad and the iPhone 5 is my second iPhone. No screen protectors on any of them and all are scratch-free. Knock on wood. If you need them for your own purposes then fair enough but I don't think they're a must at all.

6. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I had a Griffin Reveal on my iPhone 4. The clear plastic back got scratched to hell AND because dust gets trapped between the two surfaces, scratched the hell out of the glass. Going with a bumper on the 5 and so far so good.