Best thing yet!!! PDF+iBooks rocks!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by almasinfe, Jun 30, 2010.

1. almasinfe macrumors member

almasinfe

I downloaded iBooks the other day and I thought it would get little to no use, but I was wrong! I just found out (like 5minutes ago) that I can download PDF comics to it through other websites!! It's awesome!!! So it you didn't know look for some PDF comics! And if you do know, let me start by saying sorry that I did not search, I am on my iPhone so it's a pain to look up stuff... You know.. Right? :)

2. iSaxon macrumors 6502a

iSaxon

Yeah I know the PDF viewer on iBooks is awesome! I look at the syllabus for my college courses with it...

3. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

I haven't bothered downloading iBooks because I really don't think I'll use it

the thing I want to know, is can you download PDF attachments from safari, mail and whatever else? Then, once they are in your "PDF collection" can you copy/paste them into mail as an attachment? That would be a HUGE help

4. almasinfe thread starter macrumors member

almasinfe

I tried and couldn't do it...

5. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

I was reading the comments for iBooks, and someone said something like "GoodReader is still my favorite PDF viewer" so I decided to read about its features. For some reason, it doesn't say this in the description, but in the last image it does say "Copy, Move and Rename" and "Send via email"

heres the link http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/goodreader-large-pdf-viewer/id306277111?mt=8

this will be very helpful for people that really need to use this, nothing like having your resume on hand or a word document on hand to email if your away from your computer..... :)

anyone try this app out??

6. darkhunter139 macrumors regular

iBooks is awesome! I wish there was a way to sync it up with my nook but its pretty easy to find your spot with a simple search.

7. Corey213 macrumors member

nobody mentions you get Winnie the Pooh for free!

8. malnar macrumors 6502a

malnar

Anyone figure out how to get Itunes digital booklets (for albums) into iBooks? This would make the booklets actually useful and handy on the Iphone where I'm actually listening to the music rather than on my computer where I'm not. I couldn't get them to go into the Books section, however. Not sure if I'm missing something.

9. almasinfe thread starter macrumors member

almasinfe

More comics would rock! I have 5 and counting :) I think I might have to go over to /b/ and see if they got some jacked up comics :p

10. mashinhead macrumors 68020

How do you get the pdfs into the application?

I read that you can open attachments via mail, does that work, has anyone done that, AND if you do that will it sync back to iTunes when you sync the iPad again?

11. aneftp macrumors 601

Buy Goodreader. It's a 99 cent app for PDF organization. On the iPad they include downloading and emailing PDF's.

But I think Goodreader chargers a couple of bucks more for the iPhone in order to enable emailing and downloading PDF files. Well worth the money.

12. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Keep in mind that there are a lot of books available for free in the iBooks store for those who haven't tried it yet. Many public domain novels that are classics. It gives you a chance to try out everything for free.

13. asr10 user macrumors regular

iBooks is a big big reason why im switching to an iPhone. I have about 2gb of various books, magazines, newspapers, manuals. Being able to study for classes at any time is going to be great.

14. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

I don't have a new iPhone yet but I've extensively used the new PDF feature on the iPad. It's great for reading those PDF ebooks. Really good stuff.

15. Wateroksnmud macrumors regular

I personally haven't found the use of iBooks yet, in which I do hope to, but Kindle on the iphone has turned a non reader into a reader. I think i like Kindle because their are a ton of reviews available while the ibook store is still to new. We'll see though.

16. B737 macrumors 6502a

B737

by using ibooks, is there way a way to drag and drop PDFs into iTunes and have them sync up with the phone?

i have a lot of technical manuals that ive been using goodreader for, but to manage PDFs right from iTunes would really simplify things...

17. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

There is a great app for the Mac called Calibre. It is free and lets you convert PDF books into EPUB format for ibooks. I tried it out and it works great... the advantage of doing this is that you can adjust the font size, font, etc of your books while reading them. It makes iBooks much more useful for me.

18. mashinhead macrumors 68020

I already bought readledocs which does the same thing. Readle docs i use primarily for work, when I have to download a presentation PDF. But when I have a PDF that I want to keep forever as opposed to temporarily then I want to keep it in iBooks.

19. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

Yes, that works. Just drag the files into the Books section of iTunes and sync away. :)

20. LoganT macrumors 68020

There is two ways to get PDFS onto iBooks.

In iTunes: Drag and drop the PDF into iTunes (in the Books section). Then sync the iPhone.

On the iPhone itself: When you get a PDF online or in an email open it and wait for the entire thing to load. Then something at the top will pop up and say "Open With" choose iBooks.

BTW I have goodreader and I think the iBooks application is a lot better. Mostly in just ease of use.

21. Incindium macrumors member

The one thing I wish they'd enhance for PDF's in iBooks is a way to lock in zoom factor. I'm reading a PDF book right now and when I goto the next page I have to resize it every time so its readable. It would also be nice to have a mode where you could just continuously scroll down through the page content(retaining zoom size) rather that flipping between pages.

22. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

Yes, it does rock! I tried this on my BlackBerry 8330 and my HTC Touch Pro. Both could not handle PDF's worth a flip. iBooks on the iPhone works great!

I've used them before for my class schedule, airline itinerary, and various manuals for stuff on our boat such as autopilot and the AC.

Now I can actually really use them. Also handy because I can download them seamlessly.

23. Tech-Minded macrumors regular

Same here, was reading some comics on ibooks and it was annoying to have to zoom each time I turned a page.

24. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

I wish they would allow for the same kind of highlighting and note taking as they do with books. I understand it's not technically possible for all pdf's but for some that are this would be a very welcomed feature.

25. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I got iBooks to see what it was like on the iPhone 4. Wasn't to bad I guess. But then I found that Playboy puts their magazines in .pdf format. So I put on June and July editions up there and test drove them.

Its just like the normal magazine, except smaller. But you can zoom in, out, etc. and it operates just like a normal epub file would. I don't have a need to copy, highlight, etc. so I can't say how good or bad those options are.

BTW, the articles are great!