Best Thing YOU Enjoy About Snow Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by HappyDude20, Aug 31, 2009.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

When I 1st installed it everything looked exactly the same; I was kinda pissed.

But aside from loving the scrollable stacks, I next noticed how f*cking extremely quickly my Macbook Pro would turn on and off when closing the lid. Like, I thought it was fast but SL really made me exclaim "wow" over and over.

Rather than me ranting, I'm curious what you like most about Snow Leopard.

*For me, I'd have to say Expose (overall), including Stacks and the turning off and on times.

2. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

I liked the 13GB that appeared after the old stuff was removed. heh.

Otherwise I have to say the little dock changes (how things operate/minimize/etc) I love. The Wake on WLAN is a nice touch (haven't used it yet, but I remote into my MBP all the time so that will be nice) being native. The snappyness as well I noticed out the gate (we're not talking INSANE change, but if you can notice it... then it's a nice change).

Lots of little things. Mainly I like the fact there's more support for future applications to utilize the 64bit/dual core configuration.

3. TranceNW macrumors regular

The speed of time machine backups using a time capsule.
    Insanely fast.

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

the whole system is just much more responsive for me on my 1 gig of RAM which is a huge plus for me as one of my RAM slots died. Dock Exposé is a real plus too!

5. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

Forgot about that one. My MBP is my main storage for my photo's (have a 3yr old and we ahve a DSLR solely to take pics to document her growing up. I have a lot of pics) so TM backing up quicker is nice for sure since I add gigs of files each time I sync my DSLR.

6. zoralink macrumors newbie

quicktime x

I haven't actually got snow leopard yet, did order it before release but I guess tuesday will be the day. However I know that quicktime X will be my most enjoyed feature, with my wii rigged up to eyetv, desktop recording will be ace for making the odd video or two!!

7. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I'm not totally sure what you're talking about here.

But You mentioned "wake" and also mentioned "remotely" being able to get into your MBP.

I'm asking cause i'm waiting for my 2nd Gen iPod Touch to arrive and i'd love to connect to my Macbook Pro while i'm away from home.

What I used to do with my 1st Gen was connect to my Mac via Logmein.com which worked, well enough....but not great.

Iono. I guess i didn't hear of the feaure you've just mentioned and am wondering what exactly you're talking about. Hopefully this feature you've mentioned correlates with the same thing.

8. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

Basically SL is supposed to ahve a feature where if it is on, but in sleep mode, and a WLAN connection is made (aka wireless) it will wake it and allow access so if you ahve a remote app running (like log me in) or some other sort of remote access it should allow it to start functioning.

I haven't played with it yet, though. In the past I used InsomniaX to keep my Macbook Pro "active" w/o going to sleep when I was gone (screen would just turn off when not being directly controlled) but that doesn't work in SL yet.

So my hope is Wake on WLAN will allow me to access it via something like Log Me In.

**edit: Sorry for the spelling/typos. It's 5am and I've been at work since 6pm yesterday so I'm a bit worn out

9. greatmaju macrumors member

greatmaju

Whilst it is a bit slim on new features, I really do like:
    The speed, especially of Apples own Apps like Finder and Preview, which are blazing fast. Expose: I like the new expose slightly more as I used to have a load of odd sized windows all over the place in leopard.

All of the other cool stuff. The only fault I can find is that there isn't a list view for Quick Look, Some other apps wont work.

For me, this was the best OS roll out I have personally had. Anyone remember Vista? From last year (I think), it was horrible for me setting it up.

Oh, and I didn't do a fresh install. :apple:

10. helix21 macrumors regular

1. Much faster overall performance
    2. PREVIEW!! - Annotations are bloody brilliant
    3. Stacks upgrade - i dont really use the finder anymore
    4. Office 2008 - works with spaces and expose
    5. Quicktime X - absolutely brilliant piece of software (i kept QT 7 Pro but never use it)

11. MadDog31 macrumors 6502a

It may not be a favorite of mine, but the sandboxing of Safari plugins is a REALLY nice feature.

I had Flash crash on me yesterday while having multiple windows open, and the only thing that went down in Flash, not the browsers. Such a nice thing to have.

12. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

13. thr33face macrumors 6502

in no particular order:

-safari doesn't beachball as much anymore :)
    -neatly aligned exposé (and other new exposé features)
    -general improved snappiness and smoothness

14. msmth928 macrumors regular

Dock expose - just wish they would change it to a simple rollover to show the aps windows, or let us adjust the time (too slow as it is).

15. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

I like the way you can now minimise apps behind the app icon in the doc instead of in the doc at the right

16. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I hate to be the one that bursts your bubble, but EyeTV isn't yet compatible with Snow Leopard. Sorry. Apple lists EyeTV on their Snow Leopard incompatibility list.

17. CalMin macrumors 6502a

CalMin

Nothing specific, but the high level of fit and finish is impressive for a 10.6.0 release.

18. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

19. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I agree. It seems like Apple took their time and really tried making this a really solid release. I couldn't be happier (until they release 10.6.1 of course ;))

20. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

The feature is called "Wake On Demand".

21. elbows macrumors regular

Elgato's own website says that it works with minor issues.

I like the speed of snow leopard, and the improvements in Quartz Composer (more in that from me later)

22. Steve Jobs=God macrumors 6502

Main fav is the stacks refinements, but although might seem a little odd, really like the wallpaper of the Snow Leopard used in the boxart!

23. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

I'm using EyeTV on mine with SL and it works fine. Although, I had to copy over the App from another installation drive since it had the latest updates. I did that because when I tried to use the disc installer it gave me the error window that said that it wasn't compatible with SL.

24. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

the little dock enhancements. Minimizing into the dock icon, as well as exposing to see which windows are minimized. Another helpful feature for me is the option-clicking the sound icon in the menu bar, it allows me to change the line in and line out easily.

25. Jack Dangers macrumors regular

I love how it made my 1.83 coreduo Whitebook with 2gb ram feel like a brand new computer. It's incredibly fast. Best 29 dollars I've spent in a long time...