Best third-party Apple Watch ADAPTER?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by MizuNoHane, Sep 14, 2015.

1. MizuNoHane macrumors member

After scouring Amazon for days, I'm curious which bands did you all purchase that surprised you with how good the adapters were? I.e. it fit extremely well, was affordable, and even allowed you to swap out the band it came with for a normal watch band?

2. CarlJ macrumors 68000

CarlJ

In the Apple Watch Accessories group, there's a very long-running thread about third party adapters. What I personally recommend, which is also a popular choice in that thread, are the ones from freedomoclock09 on eBay that take "normal" 24mm watch spring bars. These allow swapping standard watch bands into the adapters with ease.

There is another style that's been around longer, that are cloned off the adapters that Apple uses on their classic leather strap: a small block that fits the channel in the watch, along with a two-piece U-shaped bar that fits through the band and then screws into the bar. I would not recommend these, for two reasons: 1) I haven't seen any clone ones where the quality is as high as Apple's originals, and 2) they are held together by extraordinarily small screws (some take a Pentalobe PR-1 driver, others take a Philips #00 or is it #000) - if you drop a screw, good luck ever finding it, if the screws come loose, your watch is headed straight for the ground, and Apple's official repair documents say (for their's but presumably applicable to the clones) that if the screws are removed (say to change a band) they should be thrown away and replaced.

Really, the ones that take standard 24mm spring bars are a much better idea. Spring bars are a standard item that are easy to replace, bands are easy to swap out of the adapters. The pins that protrude from the ends of the spring bars are internally sprung to keep them locked in the holes on the adapter... The adapters have "drilled lugs", in that the holes that the spring bars lock into go all the way through the lugs, so taking a band off is as easy as pushing a pin tool, or the end of a paper clip, into the hole on the lug to push the spring-loaded pin at the end of the spring bar, back out of the lug..

But take a look in the accessories group too ;-)

3. MizuNoHane thread starter macrumors member

4. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

Agreed. I bought something that looks just like these on Amazon, and I prefer them to the Apple style. For lack of a better word, they're a bit more masculine, with brushed tops and polished sides.

That being said, even though I have a drawer full of nice straps to use on this adapter, I find myself sticking to the Sport band, leather loop, and link bracelet, because I prefer the way the integrated straps look vs. the little lugs with straps attached.