Best Thunderbolt drive for iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Black Diesel, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Black Diesel macrumors member

I have a budget of $1000 and I'm looking for a 4TB thunderbolt drive. Is this G-technology the best drive money can buy for my budget? Any feedback on these drives for quality/speed/etc?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...logy_0G02289_G_Raid_with_Thunderbolt_4TB.html

Actually it looks like this 6TB is better for only $50 more:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/858462-REG/G_Technology_0G02298_8TB_G_RAID_External_Hard.html

Any idea if any manufacturer is planning on releasing any new thunderbolt drives soon?

2. Mike Valmike macrumors 6502a

I recommend the LaCie two-bay TB drive, put Seagate 4TBs in each side and mirror them. Aside from being robbed you're about as rock solid as you can psosibly be in a 4TB setup that way.

3. Black Diesel thread starter macrumors member

Is this the one you are referring to?
    http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?id=10573

How much are seagate 4TB drives? Can you post a link to them?

Thanks

4. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

5. Black Diesel thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for this, these look nice. Can you do me a favor and do a quick comparison of price/performance with the Lacie and G-Tech drives?

6. Black Diesel thread starter macrumors member

I just called Caldigit and those T2 drives aren't available until January 2013. :(

7. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

Really!? I'm sorry! They told me through Facebook in early summer they would be released late October.

I'm still going to wait. Quality + customer service = a happy consumer!

8. Mike Valmike macrumors 6502a

Yes, that's the LaCie to get. I got the 6GB and it included two 3TB Seagate Barracuda drives (sorry can't link, at work). I mirrored them and have a VERY satisfactory 3TB thunderbolt RAID going. If I was feeling a little more daring about drive dependency I could have gone RAID 0 or JBOD but I want to survive hardware failure and cloud will have to suffice for the rest.

If you want two 4TBs, you can buy the cheaper LaCie 4TB kit, yank out the two 2TB drives, resell them, and install aftermarket ones. If Seagate isn't offering a 4TB Barracuda yet (I thought for sure they were) then you can always get Western Digital Blacks. Avoid the greens or blues; you're building a Thunderbolt RAID, you want this thing to be a block of iron right from the start, no?

Be aware, this RAID enclosure is about the size of a toaster. Much larger than the USB external HDDs. And the blue light is bright, so if you have it in a bedroom, make sure it doesn't block you from sleeping. But it's SOLID. You can feel it the moment you first take it out of the box. :D

9. Black Diesel thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info Mike, I will take a close look at the Lacie. But someone just tipped me off to the Drobo 5D that's coming out, now I'm leaning toward that if it gets good reviews. Pricey but people seem to love them. Anyone here use a Drobo with a MAC?