Best time capsule setup?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dawrobel, Jan 22, 2009.

1. dawrobel macrumors newbie

dawrobel

I'm currently staying in university residence where our internet access is all through wireless access point through the building; in this environment, is it possible to setup a time capsule such that it connects wirelessly to the nearest access point and then allows me to connect to it (the TC) wirelessly or by ethernet (then get an address by DHCP in the TC or the access point)? I was hoping to use the TC as a backup for my iMac and macbook, as well as a mounting point for drives I plug into it but thus far haven't been able to come up with anything that works ideally (ie. tried connecting all my stuff to the access point but the backup worked waaaaayyyy too slow over 802.11g to do anything realistically when its shared among many other people).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

2. wizzracer macrumors 6502

wizzracer

Make your first back-up "each machine" with Cat cable like they suggest. Then it will run faster.

3. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

1) Yes, you should be able to set up the TC to accept the dorm wireless and then supply you with personal access through the TC router, either wired or wireless. That assumes the school doesn't ban this or have systems in place to prevent this.

2) Agree on doing wired backup first time around. You don't need TC to be connected to dorm network to do this.

4. dawrobel thread starter macrumors newbie

dawrobel

Awesome thanks, can you give me some directions on how to set it up so it connects wirelessly and gives me my own ip (either via wire or wireless) (re: #1)?