Best time for go for new mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Tech198, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Tech198 macrumors G4

Hi all.

Looking at either an iMac +MBA combo, or a MBP (my thinking the iMAC would fill the low performance of the Air, while the Air itself, would be light to carry round with me)

When is the best time for purchase ? in few weeks, or wait till new year ?

Also, if i do go for iMac + MBA. (which is what i'm really pushing for), would the iMac be fine for a small desk alone, and have keyboard and magic trackpad on soft surface (i.e. bed) ?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. Moccasin macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

Many responses to these questions if you search the forums but it comes down to need. If you need a new computer now then go ahead.

In terms of best time, then the MacRumors Buying guides will tell you where the model ranges are in their release cycles.

Frequent rumours are suggesting a complete refresh of Apple's line-up next year, so if you must have the latest/best model then its probably best to wait.

4. szolr macrumors 6502

The best time to buy a new Mac is when you need one. :cool:

5. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

We won't see a significant update before April, so that's up to you. Nothing on the buying guide page will have any effect on this. There simply isn't anything truly significant that could be released before the Ivy Bridge cpus. Even then it'll probably be a smaller update year. What you should buy depends on how you use your computer. You seem to really want a macbook air. What are some of the things you would like to use it for where you're concerned about performance? There are rumors about a 15" air next year.

6. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

7. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Best time is probably summer if you'e a student. I'd try black friday, I guess.

I have a 27in iMac and 11in MBA. Quite honestly, depending on what you do, you'll find the MBA to be speedier due to its SSD. Everything I do on my iMac, I can do on my MBA. So it's nice in the sense that I can easily work on homework/projects/etc between the two... despite the obvious advantage of the iMac's screen real estate.

Also, I would not recommend using the trackpad on the bed. It needs a hard surface for the click to work. Like even holding it in your hand, for example, doesn't work when you try to click it... not easily at least.

8. jimthing, Nov 20, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2011

jimthing macrumors 6502a

jimthing

Kyle, you don't actually need to have the button actually physically click anyway...
    As most people do, just go into the settings and use one finger 'tap to click'. Works like a charm, and much easier than having to 'heavy click' the physical button all the time with the highly annoying click sound needlessly.

As for buying a Mac, (as per everyone else) it simply depends on NEED vs. WANT.
    If you are trying to plan for a future purchase, it's normally best just after, or within 3 months of, the product you want's release/update.

If you don't have a Mac at all and REALLY want one/two, then just buy now IMO – they're all generally very good for minimum 3 years (if not longer depending on your usage; just make sure to update the OS releases for a few bucks every 2 years or so when they get released, as your hardware will very likely support the latest version to keep your system relevant).

If you can wait 6-9 months (at a guess), then I'd personally wait until the Ivy Bridge refreshes next year, with possible range design changes generally likely (perhaps). But each and every year a new model comes out in tech-land, so you have to just get on with your life really, and get what suits when wanted/needed.

9. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Ha! Did not know that. Thanks :cool:

10. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

If you don't have a Mac, the longer you wait the more you will regret it once you realize how much nicer a Mac can be. If you have a Mac, it comes down to need.